• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

"MFE program profile evaluation" master thread

physics-math double major
math courses: cal2, multi cal, linear algebra, discrete math, statistical methods (intro course), data analysis, ODE, mathematical stat (2 courses), real analysis, used lots of PDE in physics
CS courses: C++
used matlab, mathematica, latex in physics..
econ classes: intro, micro, macro
gpa: 3.65

what are my chances at say columbia mfe, nyu math finance? if i apply during senior year, i would not complete all these classes.. should take a gap year and apply later? or does it not matter?

You ask for something nobody here can answer.
When I evaluate application, I have the COMPLETE file. I can't say much with your line of basic stats. It looks like thousand of people I have seen before.

People apply in their senior semester, providing they will graduate and have final transcript before the MFE program starts. Sometimes, schools will not give a final admit until all of your grades are in.

Profile evaluation

Hi Andy,

It would be great if you could evaluate my profile.I'm looking forward to applying to Baruch mfe and MIT mfin. I really want to be a quant analyst in the area of fixed income,so Baruch is my first preference.

1)I'm a computer science and engg. Gradute from India.I scored 69% marks during my engg.,which is first division according to my university grading system.anything above 70% is first division with honors.
2) I've been good at quant throughout my life.I scored 97% in math in class 10, and 90% in math in class 12.I scored 100% marks in math1 and math 2 in the university exam(the only student to do so in a batch of 300 students).I scored 90% marks in math 3 at university level ( again the highest in my class). The math that I studied in college included calculus,probability,complex numbers, matrices etc
3) I developed an interest in finance during the second year of my college, and ever since, I have been trading in markets. Initially, I graded just stocks but later on started trading in commodities, forex. Besides I have had experience in using derivatives such as futures, options and cfd's . But the problem is that I have done this at individual level.
4) I've been reading numerous blogs, forums,books,magazines to get as much knowledge as possible related to finance.
5) I'm going to take my GMAT on the 26th of October,and I'm quite confident that I can score 750+

Rishab,

If you are taking the GMAT on October 26th, I don't think you will apply in time for MIT's mfin program. It takes time for the essay to be graded. The application deadline is November 2nd.

Hi Andy,

It would be great if you could evaluate my profile.I'm looking forward to applying to Baruch mfe and MIT mfin. I really want to be a quant analyst in the area of fixed income,so Baruch is my first preference.
I can't say much about your chance but according to the latest admission numbers, it's harder to get into Baruch than MIT, statistically.
Collection of Admission Numbers from MFE Programs | Quant Network

I'm also curious about your choice of the schools because Baruch and MIT are very different programs as far as courses offerings go.

MIT is a relatively new program and it's hard to say much about it.

In either case, you should attend their upcoming online chat

MIT has one on 10/6 MIT Sloan Online chat
Baruch has one on 10/8 Admission Chats with Directors of MFE Programs | Quant Network

Andy

I do understand that they are very different programs.But I'm applying to MIT solely because of its brand name and because I think that I might get a quant job after graduating from MIT.

The problem is that I don't have any work-ex so it would be very difficult in programs such as UCB MFE.

This is the main reason why I thought baruch MFE would be ideal for me.

Another program that I have my eyes on is the CMU MSCF.

Could you give me some advise as to how to make profile stronger.I have seen that many universities offer refresher courses on Quant but I don't think that taking them would be of much help.

I'm hoping to score 750+ on GMAT. I'm getting around 770 on my practice tests.I hope this might help my application.

I'm willing to take CFA but given the time constraint I doubt I would be able to pass the Dec 2010 CFA 1.

If I take finance related lessons from MIT open courseware,would that be of any help?

Hello everyone
Firstly I would really like to thank everyone on quantnet here for sharing all the information and in a way helping many students like me to get a gist of what FE actually really is.
The following is my profile:

GRE : 1210 q-760
Toefl: 104
Undergraduate degree : Electronics engineering.. overal percentage 59.6
from K J Somaiya College of Engineering, University of Mumbai

Decent LOR and SOP

Work Ex : 1) 3 years part time Teaching assistantship ..held the position of an Adjunct Faculty Associate at an institute recognised by the government of India to teach Object oriented programming(basically C and C++) and Business Statistics(maths basically)

2) 2 month internship at a financial technology firm...basically got exposure to trading applications and softwares for technical analysis .

3) 2 month internship at a brokerage firm as a research analyst trainee...basically into equity analysis....daily MTM estimations etc..

Programming languages : , C , C++ , Matlab , VBA.

Besides this background I have pursued
4 certifications from BSE(Bombay Stock Exchange)

I am totally aware that my Gre Quant marks are some what on the lesser side.
Also due to time constraints I would not be able to retake the GRE.
Can anyone please let me know what are my chances of getting in to a 2nd tier program like Michigan, Georgia tech,Rutgers both (MQF and MSMF),UCLA,NCSU.UIUC(MFE).
Waiting in anticipation
Thanks in Advance

For MS in Finance?

Any hope of getting admission in a good MSF program in the US?

GMAT : 640 Q:47 V:32 AWA: Result awaited

Undergraduate: Bachelors in Engineering

University: University of Pune

i dont think it is prudent to base your application decisions on "might get a quant job". These programs involve a lot of money and you should spend some time doing the research on the program and placements before you apply. The program at MIT is a very general program and I am not sure you can get "quant" roles unless you already have a good quant background.

yes, CMU is a good program which admits a lot of students without work ex.

I do understand that they are very different programs.But I'm applying to MIT solely because of its brand name and because I think that I might get a quant job after graduating from MIT.

The problem is that I don't have any work-ex so it would be very difficult in programs such as UCB MFE.

This is the main reason why I thought baruch MFE would be ideal for me.

Another program that I have my eyes on is the CMU MSCF.

Could you give me some advise as to how to make profile stronger.I have seen that many universities offer refresher courses on Quant but I don't think that taking them would be of much help.

I'm hoping to score 750+ on GMAT. I'm getting around 770 on my practice tests.I hope this might help my application.

I'm willing to take CFA but given the time constraint I doubt I would be able to pass the Dec 2010 CFA 1.

If I take finance related lessons from MIT open courseware,would that be of any help?

Work on making your LOR and SOP better than decent, especially your SOP since its quality is solely in your control.

Thank you for the suggestion.I would surely keep that in mind.

---------- Post added at 12:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 PM ----------

Obviously a 800Q will only do you good, your chance of landing in any one of the listed programs is better than you assume.
Take time to make sure you application is complete and make sure you don't make any mistakes like the 15 i wrote about

15 Reasons Your MFE Application Was Denied | Quant Network

Thank you so much Andy for the suggestion.

hi

hi even i am to apply for MFE.. nice to meet u all here

---------- Post added 10-04-2010 at 12:02 AM ---------- Previous post was 10-03-2010 at 11:58 PM ----------

Btech(Electrical and Electronics) from NIT Warangal premier institute in India
Gpa 3.47 (85% avg in Math courses have taken all required for MFE)

CFA level 1 candidate

work ex 1.5 years Samsung R&D (proficient in C++, Matlab, Linux)

GRE: 800Q, 600V, 4.5 AWA

CFA

Hi kichuxj

How are preparing for CFA level 1. I'm curious coz I too am interested in giving the CFA exam.What books are you using to study for CFA? or Have you joined some test prep company?

I'm also doing some research on risk management. Hopefully, it gets published.I've put in about 5-6 months of hardcore research into this project.Most of the things that I have in my research paper are my own ideas,findings, and thoughts.But the problem is it will probably take 2-3 more months to completely shape up.So, at best, I can just mention about it in SOP.

Also, I'm positive that might get some good news from PWC or Accenture (finance domain).Again, I can only mention I've been offered a job in the company along with the expected role.

Hi rishab

I am preparing using schweser notes only... and i havent joined any prep class...dont have time for that.. i have gone through the material if u have a math background its a cake walk provided u put a bit of effort into accounts and ethics...

Hi

I've been careless.I didn't even think about giving the cfa,and secondly,I didn't care about the deadline, because I thought I could fix an appointment for this just like the GMAT. Now, even though I am willing to commit 12 hrs a day to study, it's of no use, as I can't appear for the December exam. I hope that the committee finds my application attractive without the cfa, otherwise I'll have to schedule it for June 2011. In that case, it would be my third attempt at trying my luck at admissions.

However, it does not bother me, because I will keep on trying until I get into the program of my choice.

Hey, it might sound silly, because I don't know much about the cfa exam, but is it possible to schedule 2 cfa exams at the same time, because I think I'll have ample of time to pass 2 levels given the time.

Any hope of getting admission in a decent MSF program in the US? (I do not wish to do a MFE, I want to do a MSF)

GMAT : 640 Q:47 V:32 AWA: 5/6

Undergraduate: Bachelors in Engineering

University: University of Pune

Please help me out guys, I did not get a reply for this earlier.

Back