• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

"MFE program profile evaluation" master thread

Hi all, would like to apologise for my messy posts around the forum lately at first. So finally, I have decided to move to quant finance and apply, I am mainly looking at MMF at U of Toronto, possibly some decent UK schools. I guess my low GRE (310+800) is killing me off for US. Would like to have some evaluations on my profile, hopefully its not a direct kill for you guys:)

So detailed info:
Schools in mind: U of T, LSE, Oxford, Imperial, possibly UNSW, ANU (Australia), all quantitative related master
School: Nanyang Tech Univ, Singapore
Master of Computer Engineering (wrapping up) (2 A- for Embedded operating systems + digital image processing, and 1 B- for neural networks, zzz)
Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering (Mechatronics) (2nd Upper Honours), Class rank: possible within 120/800 engineers, no GPA given
Research: Computer vision + machine learning (highly quantitative field, 2 years + experiences)
Math contents (A A A- B, something happened to my family in a term and I got B for the last one): Calculus, series, multivariate calc, ode, linear algebra, vector differential + integral calc, basic prob+stats, pde, laplace, fourier, complex...
Coding: 6 years of C, almost 2 years of Matlab, learning and using C++ for current project. Others include assembly, basic stamp, octave...
Publication: 1 CVPR Oral as third author (top destination, <5% acceptance rate) + 1 from undergraduate conference (1 citation since 2008), all about computer vision. We have another submission to a top machine learning journal (I am second author), hopefully good news can come before I send application. I am planning for few more too.
Recommendation letter expected to be top 10-15%.

What do you guys think about my profile?

Just a last question, do you guys think I have a chance at some good US schools like Stanford/UCB/Columbia? I don't know if I can fix my GRE verbal with publications. I guess I was just too nervous that time but I really don't have time to redo GRE before coming admission year. Quite tied up with research work.

Thanks a lot for your guidance:)

Hello everyone,

I am hoping if someone can help me with the slew of questions swarming my mind.

I am working at a highly reputed bank for the whole loan trading group as an analyst/application developer for about 3 years now with an additional 16 months experience in another company before that.

For the past 2 years I was thinking of doing a phd but fear of failure has stopped me from taking any concrete action :wall. However that fear cannot suppress my desire to learn anymore and I finally(this june) decided to act.

I have taken the GRE yesterday and got a score of 1390 (590 verbal, 800 Quant) and have a degree of Bachelor of Technology in Physics from IIT Bombay (one of the good engineering schools of India) with a GPA of 7.29/10

I am thinking of doing mathematical finance (with more orientation towards modelling)
and possibly shore up my resume for a phd later.

Can someone please let me know if I can get into one of the following universities?
NYU Courant/Baruch/Princeton/CMU/Columbia/Stanford

Also the possibility of me leaving the company led them to giving me an offer to transfer me to NY from India ( yup, I slogged similar to one of those drones in Dilberts). The prospect of not having to take loan is pretty enticing as it would also help me get into phd without having to work anymore. I also heard from my friends who have done fin. engg. that part-time is comparatively easier to get into.

Please let me know your thoughts on this :)

PS: I really really wanna get back to college. I cannot afford to waste any more time as I will be almost 5 years out of college already. Can you please also suggest what I can do to boost my chances of getting through one of those universities.

@sureshv - Your GRE looks good and it sounds like you have a strong background in programming, my question would be on how much math you have taken.

Also, if you are seriously considering a PhD, a MFE may not be the best preparation because it is more practically focused. For PhD preparation I would recommend something more along the lines of applied math, computational math or scientific computing if your interests lie in modeling. Though there are MFE graduates that go onto a PhD.

Either way, focus on doing a good statement of purpose tailored for each individual school and getting good letters of recommendation.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot Connor for your reply.

@sureshv - Your GRE looks good and it sounds like you have a strong background in programming, my question would be on how much math you have taken.

I have taken about 4 math courses in my undergrad which includes pretty much everything mentioned in the pre-requisites like PDE's, complex analysis, multivariable calculus, Linear Algebra and more in addition to 2 other courses related to analytical techinques/numerical methods and some Quantum Physics stuff as well (with grades better than my overall GPA) . I am pretty sure that I can cope well with the Math part with 3 - 4 weeks of brush up :)

Also, if you are seriously considering a PhD, a MFE may not be the best preparation because it is more practically focused. For PhD preparation I would recommend something more along the lines of applied math, computational math or scientific computing if your interests lie in modeling. Though there are MFE graduates that go onto a PhD.
Good luck!
I have spoken to some of the quants in my company and they suggested a cautious approach than jumping headlong into Phd. especially as I am starting my second innings a bit late.

You don't give people anything to answer your question with that 4 lines.
If you can afford MIT, you may get in. You probably will have no chance at Princeton. And since you don't want to do MFE, that's all I can say.

How can i get into mit? Their average gmat is 700+ and i only have a 640.

One question about GRE test, does any of the schools or programmes take particular attention to writing part of GRE, I scored 660/800(V)+800/800(Q)+3.0/6.0(A) in my GRE, do I need to retake the test?

Really appreciate your help!

Kevin

One question about GRE test, does any of the schools or programmes take particular attention to writing part of GRE, I scored 660/800(V)+800/800(Q)+3.0/6.0(A) in my GRE, do I need to retake the test?

Really appreciate your help!

Kevin

Would you like to trade verbal scores for writing scores? I got a 5.0/6.0 A but got a 520 on verbal. :). What matters most to these institutions is the math. While verbal/writing doesn't hurt, it doesn't help that much after you break 550 and 4.0 writing I believe but your verbal is above average so I believe you should be fine.

Would you like to trade verbal scores for writing scores? I got a 5.0/6.0 A but got a 520 on verbal. :). What matters most to these institutions is the math. While verbal/writing doesn't hurt, it doesn't help that much after you break 550 and 4.0 writing I believe but your verbal is above average so I believe you should be fine.

Hello Andrew, thanks for the reply, I wish I did better in writing :(. As you said, 4.0 is like a bottom line to some schools, so just want to check with others whether the cut off line is flexible.

Just for example,
my friend got only 800/350/3.5 in GRE and she was admitted to Stanford and Columbia MFE.

Hi all, would like to apologise for my messy posts around the forum lately at first. So finally, I have decided to move to quant finance and apply, I am mainly looking at MMF at U of Toronto, possibly some decent UK schools. I guess my low GRE (310+800) is killing me off for US. Would like to have some evaluations on my profile, hopefully its not a direct kill for you guys:)
DS
So detailed info:
Schools in mind: U of T, LSE, Oxford, Imperial, possibly UNSW, ANU (Australia), all quantitative related master
School: Nanyang Tech Univ, Singapore
Master of Computer Engineering (wrapping up) (2 A- for Embedded operating systems + digital image processing, and 1 B- for neural networks, zzz)
Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering (Mechatronics) (2nd Upper Honours), Class rank: possible within 120/800 engineers, no GPA given
Research: Computer vision + machine learning (highly quantitative field, 2 years + experiences)
Math contents (A A A- B, something happened to my family in a term and I got B for the last one): Calculus, series, multivariate calc, ode, linear algebra, vector differential + integral calc, basic prob+stats, pde, laplace, fourier, complex...
Coding: 6 years of C, almost 2 years of Matlab, learning and using C++ for current project. Others include assembly, basic stamp, octave...
Publication: 1 CVPR Oral as third author (top destination, <5% acceptance rate) + 1 from undergraduate conference (1 citation since 2008), all about computer vision. We have another submission to a top machine learning journal (I am second author), hopefully good news can come before I send application. I am planning for few more too.
Recommendation letter expected to be top 10-15%.

What do you guys think about my profile?

Just a last question, do you guys think I have a chance at some good US schools like Stanford/UCB/Columbia? I don't know if I can fix my GRE verbal with publications. I guess I was just too nervous that time but I really don't have time to redo GRE before coming admission year. Quite tied up with research work.

Thanks a lot for your guidance:)

Just for example,
my friend got only 800/350/3.5 in GRE and she was admitted to Stanford and Columbia MFE.

Hello feelko, thanks for helping, your friends must be super strong in maths, thanks a lot. cuz I really don't have enough time to retake GRE, so I'm planning on just using this GRE to apply and pray they wouldn't be too harsh on the writing section.

Hi guys,

First time poster but long time lurker on quantnet. First of all, I want to this site is a great resource for anyone interested in a career in quantitative finance or wants to learn more about the field in general.

I'm looking to apply to a Masters in Financial Engineering/ Mathematical Finance/ Masters in Finance program for 2011 and I just wanted to get some feedback on what are some realistic schools for me to apply to given my background.

Undergraduate degree: McGill University 2009
bachelors of commerce with a major in finance and minor in math
gpa: 3.55
major gpa about the same

math courses: Calculus 3, Calculus 4, Probability, Statistics, Linear Algebra, ODE, Abstract Algebra 1, Real Analysis 1, Analysis 2, Interest Theory, Linear Algebra

Finance Courses: Finance, Corporate Finance, International Finance, Derivatives, Fixed Income, Investment Portfolio Theory, Risk Theory

Programming Courses: Intro to Java
I know that is a big weak point in my resume as i've only taken one course even though i got an A in it.

experience:
one internship sophmore summer as an actuarial analyst at a consulting firm (i passed the first 2 exams)
one internship junior summer as a FX trading analyst at a canadian bank
and after graduation i had 6 months of experience working as a trader at a well known options market maker in Chicago.

GRE: 800M/700V/4.5 (will the 4.5AWA hurt me?)

so that's about all that can be said of me that's not expressed in my LoR's or personal statement. I know my GPA might be a little low for the top tier programs, as well as my lack of programming experience, and I guess very brief work experience. I'm really interested in UCB's program but like I said I don't know if I would be a very competitive applicant.

Any recommendations on which schools I should apply to. (safety, target, reach).. etc. But honestly, I think doing a MSF suits my background more than a MFE or MathFin, but I don't want to limit my options..

And any advice on anything I can I can do to strengthen my application before I apply. (I was thinking about taking an online computing course or enrolling at a local CC, but I was not sure how much it would help by the time I applied to schools. Or if I enrolled in them after I applied would that make any difference for my application)

Thanks!

Then retake GMAT and get 700+

Thanks Andy,

I have decided to apply to few universities(3-5) now and also retake the GMAT in January.

If i do get accepted in a decent MSF program then fair enough, If I don't get accepted, then also i will be having an awesome GMAT score for the admission process that begins in spring.

Hello feelko, thanks for helping, your friends must be super strong in maths, thanks a lot. cuz I really don't have enough time to retake GRE, so I'm planning on just using this GRE to apply and pray they wouldn't be too harsh on the writing section.

His friend must have been lucky. Stanford's V/M/A percentiles are something like 84/94/50. With such low verbal and writing scores, she must have demonstrated superior math skills in her coursework. On the other hand, a writing score of 3.0 corresponds to the 10th percentile. So if you still have time before December application deadlines it's probably better if you improve score on the writing section.

Yes, I didn't mention that she got 98% on GRE Subject Math;)

His friend must have been lucky. Stanford's V/M/A percentiles are something like 84/94/50. With such low verbal and writing scores, she must have demonstrated superior math skills in her coursework. On the other hand, a writing score of 3.0 corresponds to the 10th percentile. So if you still have time before December application deadlines it's probably better if you improve score on the writing section.

Thanks for sharing, I wish I have time to retake GRE, but there is no seat avaliable till next Jan. Is it possible that I hand in another result after the deadline? If the schools think my writing is too low will they give an conditional offer and ask me to retake or straight away reject? Thanks.

Thanks for sharing, I wish I have time to retake GRE, but there is no seat avaliable till next Jan. Is it possible that I hand in another result after the deadline? If the schools think my writing is too low will they give an conditional offer and ask me to retake or straight away reject? Thanks.

There's no seat available until January? That many graduate school applicants are taking their exams in your city in the next two months? To maximize your chance of getting into a good program maybe you can study and retake the GRE in a neighboring city in the next month. GRE is only one part of your application, while your application as a whole is more important. Different schools put different weights on different parts on the writing score. It may or may not be worth the effort to retake it depending on the schools you are applying to. I doubt that schools give conditional offers for GRE scores, maybe for missing prerequisite classes only.

There's no seat available until January? That many graduate school applicants are taking their exams in your city in the next two months? To maximize your chance of getting into a good program maybe you can study and retake the GRE in a neighboring city in the next month. GRE is only one part of your application, while your application as a whole is more important. Different schools put different weights on different parts on the writing score. It may or may not be worth the effort to retake it depending on the schools you are applying to. I doubt that schools give conditional offers for GRE scores, maybe for missing prerequisite classes only.

Ok, I see, thanks for the advise:)

MS Financial Engineering

Please review my profile and please suggest good Financial Engineering Graduate Schools
My brief profile
GRE 1350 ( V 550 Q 800 AWA - awaited )
College BITS Pilani (INDIA Rank 5 )
BE(Hons) Electrical and Electronics
CGPA 8.5/10
Relevant Courses Grade
1) Operation Research A
2) Numerical Analysis A
3) Optimization B
4) MATHEMATCIS I,II,III B
5) Security Analysis and Port currently pursuing
-folio Management
6)Computer Programming 1 C
7)Computer Programming 2 B
Strong Knowledge and experience with MATLAB

Projects
Optimization of Electronic Hardware Using GENETIC ALGORITHM
Genetic Algorithm for Financial Application
A project on Pricing of Options (yet to begin)
Mathematical Modeling of wireless Communication network

Co-curricular
Joint Coordinator Electronic Forum
conducted events , organized workshops
Participated in Electronic Technical Festival

Secondly I have a job as a Business Analyst ( yet to join) at Sabre Holding , Bangalore India. Its a Airline Service Provider with headquarters at South Lake USA.
Would you advise me to work for a year and then apply?
Will this work experience be any relevant for my MS Financial Engineering ?

Secondly I have a job as a Business Analyst ( yet to join) at Sabre Holding , Bangalore India. Its a Airline Service Provider with headquarters at South Lake USA.
Would you advise me to work for a year and then apply?
Will this work experience be any relevant for my MS Financial Engineering ?
Just curious, with a degree in electrical engineering, why did you accept a position with Sabre as a Business Analyst?

Back