• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

"MFE program profile evaluation" master thread

@Tsotne It was basically statistics, calculus, probability and algebra, but my score in maths is better than other subjects. It is 87%, 85%, 90%, and 76%. I think i am pretty good in maths and so hope to score a good ranking in GRE and if requires may appear GRE MATH subject test.

@Tsotne It was basically statistics, calculus, probability and algebra, but my score in maths is better than other subjects. It is 87%, 85%, 90%, and 76%. I think i am pretty good in maths and so hope to score a good ranking in GRE and if requires may appear GRE MATH subject test.

Then it's better. Try to get 790-800Q. And strive to recover all the other drawbacks by writing. I personally don't find it very difficult. I am telling you "to recover drawbacks" because despite your math subjects having been covered. 76% and 85% are not highly competitive. Good Luck with it.

@Tsotne, thanks, will try to get 790-800Q. Can you elaborate little more on this "and strive to recover all the other drawbacks by writing."

@Tsotne, thanks, will try to get 790-800Q. Can you elaborate little more on this "and strive to recover all the other drawbacks by writing."

In drawbacks I meant 76% and 85% which are not highly competitive for admission committee since they will find other applicants with higher performances in the same subjects. Your strong side is experience which is really proper and enough. And also I'm talking about the overall GPA which is not competitive too. But they are just the components of the whole evaluation process. If you have a weakness in any of them you should try to recover that by stating above-average performance in another component. So that's what I suggested to score high in GRE(which I hope you will ;) ) and it'll eliminate the low GPA.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Program-7th-Paul-Deitel/dp/0136117260
http://www.amazon.com/C-Mathematicians-Introduction-Students-Professionals/dp/158488584X
http://www.amazon.com/Primer-Plus-5th-Stephen-Prata/dp/0672326973

Here are the books you will find useful for starting C++. The second one is perfect for you since it introduces you to C++ from the math side. Teaches the general concepts from the mathematical point of view. Also see the home page of this site and you'll find many other useful C++ books. here's the link:
http://www.quantnet.com/quantnet-best-selling-books-2010/

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking around the forums for a while and thought I'd ask some questions about my personal situation

Undergrad:
Cornell 2010
3.55 GPA / Chemistry Major

GRE: Will take this summer

Mathematics Coursework:
Differential Eqns
Multivariable Calculus
Some practical treatment of Linear Algebra and probability in Physical Chemistry

Finance/Economics Bkground: None

Research Bkground:
Biochemistry & molecular biology projects
2 semesters of a computational neuroscience project

Current Position:
High School Science Teacher with Teach For America

I'm looking to apply for MFE programs as well starting Fall 2012, mainly the programs in NYC: Baruch, Columbia, Courant, Poly

My current plan is to take a summer course in CS while studying for the GRE + GRE Math, and to take an MFE prep course start in fall 2011. I'm looking at the program at UChicago and maybe UMinn:
http://www-finmath.uchicago.edu/new/msfm/prospective/plan_preparation.php
http://www.math.umn.edu/finmath/online_ed/

What else can I do to make my application stronger?

Thanks!

Took some programming in high school. Had to do very limited coding for chemistry coursework using IgorPRO. Also did a little coding in NEURON (esoteric neurosci language). So I have some exposure but not a lot of experience, I am pretty confident I can pick up C++ on my own but since there doesn't seem to be any certifications for C++ I thought it'd be better off to have an intro CS class on my transcript, hence my plan to take a summer course.

Took some programming in high school. Had to do very limited coding for chemistry coursework using IgorPRO. Also did a little coding in NEURON (esoteric neurosci language). So I have some exposure but not a lot of experience, I am pretty confident I can pick up C++ on my own but since there doesn't seem to be any certifications for C++ I thought it'd be better off to have an intro CS class on my transcript, hence my plan to take a summer course.

It is not necessary to have a certificate in C++ if you are going to excel programming in this language. If your concern is certification then evaluate your options and do the best you find. But for many MFE admissions you are required to have a C++ knowledge.

I am pretty confident I can pick up C++ on my own
But if the certification is not you concern, then see my above post suggesting the C++ books. Those will really help you in good way.

As for GPA, it is quite normal. You should have high scores in math based subjects and the rest are not such important since overall GPA seems normal. Try to get high GRE Q
Good Luck

Thanks Tsotne,

I am concerned about how to demonstrate my C++ knowledge to the admissions committee if I learn it on my own. I understand that most of these programs don't offer interviews so I don't want them thinking that I can't use C++.

Thanks Tsotne,

I am concerned about how to demonstrate my C++ knowledge to the admissions committee if I learn it on my own. I understand that most of these programs don't offer interviews so I don't want them thinking that I can't use C++.

Yes so the certification is your concern. It'd be better to do some classes then. I'm not sure that C++ certification program is not being conducted. Members here might know some and they will probably advice you on. C++ will be important at job anyway it is worth studding whether on your own or not I think.

Hi

Can you please evaluate my profile. More than asking whether i can get in or not in top programs, i am asking what more should i do so as to boost my chances of getting into one of the top 10 schools for Masters in CF.

Undergraduate School: State University of New York at Buffalo

Undergraduate Honors Degree:

1) Bachelors of Science in Computer Science - Graduating 09/2011 GPA 4.0/4.0
2) Bachelors of Arts in Mathematics - Graduating 09/2011 Anticipated GPA 4.0/4.0

Current Cumulative GPA 3.97/4.0

Mathematics Courses:
1) Cal 1, Cal 2, Cal 3 - A
2) Diff Eqns - A
3) Probability Theory - A
4) Statisitics - Anticipated A(Current Semester)
5) Linear Algebra - A
6) Financial Math 1 - A (400/500 level course taught to quant students at our school)
7) Financial Math 2 - A (400/500 level course taught to quant students at our school)
8) Stochastic Processes - Anticipated A Current Semester

Computer Science courses:
1) Programing Languages 1,2
2) Discrete Mathematics
3) Digital Systems
4) Computer Organization
5) Programming Languages
6) Operating Systems
7) Database Concepts
8) Distributed System
9) Data Intensive Computing
10) Machine Learning - "I consider the best course"
11) Theory in Computation

All straight A's

> NSF Certification in Data Intensive Computing (Working towards it, will get in May)

Experience
1) Undergraduate Research Aide - NSF Grant in Distributed System leading to Academic Excellence Award (prestigious award)
2) Undergraduate Research Aide(current position) - NSF Grant on Data Intensive Computing
3) Undergraduate Research Aide(current position) - NSF Grant on KDD Program

Also

1) Undergraduate Teaching Assistant- Spring 2010
2) Undergraduate Teaching Assistant - Spring 2011

Will be graduating in September 2011, Want to apply to Grad schools for Fall 2012. Will be setting up a venture in IT in meantime as i have some entrepreneurial spark too.

Now the bad part is: In Fall 2010, i registered for Numerical Analysis 1 but i got sick during that semester and had to take an R and because it is offered once an year could not take it this semester.

Thinking of giving GRE in July
Essays - have not started.

I am a very serious student and am really interested in going to top grad schools. What can i do to boost my chances of getting into top schools? Even though i wanted to graduate in September but i can spend another semester to take Numerical Analysis 1 if recommended so. Do you think R in Num Analysis will be a major consideration for schools while giving admission?

In other words i am ready to do almost anything in my reach to get to top grad school. I need serious guidance as to what i should do? Should i go take Actuary exams or other exams?

I am a very serious student and am really interested in going to top grad schools. What can i do to boost my chances of getting into top schools? Even though i wanted to graduate in September but i can spend another semester to take Numerical Analysis 1 if recommended so. Do you think R in Num Analysis will be a major consideration for schools while giving admission?

Your academic background looks impressive (GPA, courses covered). I would have 2 suggestions. Try to get high score in GRE-Q. R doesn't seem to be a major consideration for admission committee. You should know C++ instead for MFE programs.

Tsotne,

I have a solid background in C++ as i have done lot of Operating System projects and other projects outside academic curriculum. I am worried about not having taken Num Analysis 1 and 2. How do you think can i boost my profile? Should i extend my graduation to take Num Analysis or should i spend my energy somewhere else? I want to make my profile better. Should i take Actuary exams. There must be something i can do to increase my chances of getting to best grad schools?

@bansalmohit
You need not take actuary exams as it does not improve your application. Spend time on GRE, researching schools, your essays and getting good recommender.
Believe it or not, the admission process is not exact science. A lot of time, we work on how we "feel" an applicant and there isn't a preferential treatment for straight A's versus "A's and few B+". On a relative scale, they are identical.
What makes or break an application is how the essay reads. My advice is to spend some time on this forum and get a feel of what current and graduates of MFE programs have been through. What life is like for them.
Many applicants spend little time to do research about this field and it shows very clearly in their essay and how they perceive their future study, career will be.

That's the fatal blow to their chance.

Hi Andy Nguyen,

Thanks for the reply

What is more important recommendation from professors who know you personally and can write personalized letters but are not that highly ranked or professors who are highly ranked but dont know you that well so will write generic letter. Also where should i start for the essays. You mean the research about the program, courses offered, life as a student and the industry as a whole and about what quants do?

Having a well respected academic/practitioner write you a letter is a good thing. Having them write you a generic letter is another thing. You need to know how often they write these. It does not mean much if they diss out letters like candies.
Usually, the higher up/famous the person is, the less likely that they know you personally and can say something good. My recommendation writers are not world famous but they will write 3 pages that can cover my qualities in details. That's a result of having a long lasting relation with them. You can't take a class with some professor, got an A and expecting a top notch letter.

Each program have a different question for their essay so read them first and try to build your case around to answer them. For example, NYU MathFin essay asks "Why do you want to do Math Finance?"
You have to answer the "why" part. You can't just say you are good at math and want to work in finance. It does not answer the question. You need to understand what "math finance" means, what career graduates from NYU program pursue, how would you be an ideal candidate to take advantage of the strength of the program as well as your personal qualities.

Hello Andy, could you please evaluate my profile, thanks.

I maybe not the typical MFE guy:

Bachelor and Master in civil engineering from Chinese institutions: low under GPA:78%, Master GPA:83%...
five years' experience as an auditor.
MBA in a so so US business school majoring in Finance: 3.8/4.0 GPA
now working in large future exchange for risk management in China.

career path post MFE: may return to current employer or go for IB.

Certification: CFA level-II, FRM and AICPA
GMAT: 730(q50)
target school: UCLA, may try Berkeley and CMU, or try Columbia after taking GRE

Pros: knowledge of Finance and working experience
cons: old guy with poor under GPA

comments and recommendation welcome welcome

Hi Everybody.
I am interested in knowing whether CFA adds value to an applicant's profile and to what extent!? The same about relevant work experience (Asset Management for example). And what that differ according to schools (e.g. a work experience would give an advantage applying to UCB more than it does for CMU)
Hope knowledgeable people can give some feedback.

Hi Everybody.
I am interested in knowing whether CFA adds value to an applicant's profile and to what extent!? The same about relevant work experience (Asset Management for example). And what that differ according to schools (e.g. a work experience would give an advantage applying to UCB more than it does for CMU)
Hope knowledgeable people can give some feedback.

I think CFA gives advantage. Depends on the level passed also. As for the experience, in some applications, it is mandatory to have included the confirmation of experience. So asset management can help but could be of little value since in overall evaluation it is rarely assessed - it might simply be a MUST. Not sure for particular universities though.

Best

Back