• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MFE with 3-year bachelor degree

Hi!

I'm looking to apply to MFE-programs next year. However I have only completed a 3-year Bologna-compliant bachelor degree in Europe and I wonder if my application will even be considered given that fact? My BSc is in Industrial Engineering and Management, so I will have completed more than necessary of the minimum math, programming and finance requirements. I also studied one semester of italian before taking my BSc so I wonder if perhaps my application could be strengthened by taking one more semester of courses just to get the equivalent of 4 years?

Would really appreciate response!

Thanks

Not all schools accept the Bologna degrees. You have to confirm with the administration/admissions staff if they will allow it.

Many universities do it CASE-By-CASE. Here is a link to the U-Mich MFE program website.

Rackham Graduate School :: University of Michigan

Applicants whose educational experiences include a Bologna degree will be reviewed on a case by case basis to determine eligibility. You must include the diploma supplement when submitting your official transcripts and diploma.

Here are some other articles about comparisons, etc. Degree discrimination? Indias no consensus among U.S. graduate schools | Diverse Issues in Higher Education | Find Articles at BNET
http://www.cgsnet.org/portals/0/pdf/R_3yrclarification_1106.pdf
http://www.wes.org/educators/pdf/BolognaPacket.pdf

Many universities require a Bologna degree and a Masters degree to qualify for admission into Masters in USA. I have seen this required of many Indian students who come with the Indian 3 year B.Comm degree. They are usually required to have a Masters too.

You should find out from the schools you're applying to, as some take it some don't.

Interesting issue.

I can see the reason behind asking students from the European system to have completed the 5-year sequence culminating in the Masters degree before applying to an MS degree in the US.

However, the Baruch MFE Program we will take a case-by-case approach, without limiting the ability to apply of people who only have the 3-year degree. This is consistent with what we are currently doing with all the applications as well.

UK and AUS degrees

Yeah... for example London School of Economics offers external degree program with 12 subjects which can be completed between 3 years. I am not sure if this is also acceptable in US.

Most Australia undergraduate degrees are 3 years. 4th year is the honour year. 5th year usually is a double majors.

I am not sure how this count?

For ex my background is 3 years Bologna compliant bachelor degree (Sorbonne university) in Economics (spe Math) and i have been accepted by most of the best masters in FE in the US and the UK. So apparently it is possible. I am 21 now.

Thanks for the answers! I've found out that most programs will accept the 3-year degree when asking the admissions offices. Only exception so far is IIT Mfin.

Back