• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Minimum GRE score for entry into quant programs

Is there a site where I could see an estimate on the minimum GRE score requirements for different quant programms?

I am currently applying to CMU, Princeton, Cornell, Columbia and NYU.

I just got my GRE scores and I only received a 162 (87% below) in the quant section and am therefor worried that I might get rejected by all 5 schools. My other GRE scores were average (155, 69% below in verbal and 4.5, 72% below in analytical), but my GPA is very good (3.95).

Do you have a program that you recommend that accepts applicants with a GRE score in this range?

Thank you in advance for your help!

I'm not aware of any program posting a minimum GRE requirement. I would suggest that you broaden your choice to more than those few programs if you are uncertain of your chance.
Take a look at our Tracker to see the profiles of those admitted to those programs. While you are there, please share your timelines with other applicants.

I'm not aware of any program posting a minimum GRE requirement. I would suggest that you broaden your choice to more than those few programs if you are uncertain of your chance.
Take a look at our Tracker to see the profiles of those admitted to those programs. While you are there, please share your timelines with other applicants.
What programs would you recommend considering my credentials?

I have to ask whether you are taking this seriously as a signal ?

Some people are going to be good at this line of work, other are going to be less good and I don't think I am surprising you by saying that banking is a competitive game, so have you spent real effort finding the kind of job in which you will excel ?

Is there a site where I could see an estimate on the minimum GRE score requirements for different quant programms?

I am currently applying to CMU, Princeton, Cornell, Columbia and NYU.

I just got my GRE scores and I only received a 162 (87% below) in the quant section and am therefor worried that I might get rejected by all 5 schools. My other GRE scores were average (155, 69% below in verbal and 4.5, 72% below in analytical), but my GPA is very good (3.95).

Do you have a program that you recommend that accepts applicants with a GRE score in this range?

Thank you in advance for your help!

I was just wondering when you wrote your GRE Revised Test because I am anxiously awaiting my scores and the first round of official scores weren't supposed to be released until November 8th. Did they email you or what?

I have to ask whether you are taking this seriously as a signal ?

Some people are going to be good at this line of work, other are going to be less good and I don't think I am surprising you by saying that banking is a competitive game, so have you spent real effort finding the kind of job in which you will excel ?

I'm not sure where you are going with this answer. Do you mean that I should take my GRE Q grade as a sign that I shouldn't pursue studies or a career as a trader or a quant?

I am 100% determined that I want to go into investment banking. I am a little bit less sure in what field inside the bank I want to pursue, but I am mostly leaning against becoming a trader.

I was just wondering when you wrote your GRE Revised Test because I am anxiously awaiting my scores and the first round of official scores weren't supposed to be released until November 8th. Did they email you or what?
I sent you a PM. Didn't get an email, just logged on and checked for fun because they had started posting scores. My scores were suppose to be available at the 8th of November.

I am 100% determined that I want to go into investment banking. I am a little bit less sure in what field inside the bank I want to pursue, but I am mostly leaning against becoming a trader.

why do you want to go into investment banking?

if you are leaning against becoming a trader, what do you want to do? investment banking certainly doesn't require an mfe degree.

why do you want to go into investment banking?

if you are leaning against becoming a trader, what do you want to do? investment banking certainly doesn't require an mfe degree.

I want to go into investment banking because it appeals to me. I find it interesting and it has been my dream for many years now. The financial markets fascinate me and observing them and analyzing is what I want to dedicate my life to.

If you are asking specifically what kind of trading I would like to do I would probably at the moment say foreign exchange. I'm sure as I continue my studies and start working that it might change. I am most focused on and interested in doing something where I could use my mathematical abilities.

You say that investment banking certainly does not require an MFE degree. Would you say that there was a better way for me to go?

I want to go into investment banking because it appeals to me. I find it interesting and it has been my dream for many years now. The financial markets fascinate me and observing them and analyzing is what I want to dedicate my life to.

If you are asking specifically what kind of trading I would like to do I would probably at the moment say foreign exchange. I'm sure as I continue my studies and start working that it might change. I am most focused on and interested in doing something where I could use my mathematical abilities.

You say that investment banking certainly does not require an MFE degree. Would you say that there was a better way for me to go?

so you do want to trade? when you said you were leaning against it, that, to me, meant that trading was something you were not interested in.

investment banking != trading, although many trading operations are housed in investment banks. traditional investment banking is the process of pitching to companies for debt issuance, ipo work, or m&a transactions. if you want to go this route, i guess i'd recommend an mba and further training comprised of sitting in an office chair 16 hours a day, seven days a week.

and, while the following may sound callous, i assure you it's only meant to help you as you apply and interview: you will need more of a reason than "the financial markets fascinate me" and you're looking for something where you "can use [your] mathematical abilities." there are hundreds of thousands (if not more) students who provide those two same exact answers. as for how to distinguish yourself...what about the markets fascinates you? why?

I can vouch that mfegrad really meant to help you the above post. If you were to apply today and use these same exact paragraphs in your essay, I can assure you that you will come across to admission committee as not very career savvy.
But don't fret, Quantnet exists for people like you to learn more about the industry, the degree and the process. To be honest, when I started out years ago, I sounded exactly like you and there wasn't Quantnet around to help.
I would start out with the master reading list just to get a feel of the industry and who plays what roles. It only become clearer to me once I started working so don't worry if you will be confused at first. Talk to as many people as possible who are in the industry to ask for their guidance.
Read "A Day in The Life" series. To see what investment banking world entails, visit M&I. It's highly recommended and run by someone I know. To see what the IB aspiring crowd is discussing, visit WSO
Then visit Quantnet, Wilmott and you will see the different things and topic they discuss. See which one you feel more comfortable with.

Can you also post you projected score in old pattern, that will give a good idea to other anxious test takers waiting for their result :)

so you do want to trade? when you said you were leaning against it, that, to me, meant that trading was something you were not interested in.

investment banking != trading, although many trading operations are housed in investment banks. traditional investment banking is the process of pitching to companies for debt issuance, ipo work, or m&a transactions. if you want to go this route, i guess i'd recommend an mba and further training comprised of sitting in an office chair 16 hours a day, seven days a week.

and, while the following may sound callous, i assure you it's only meant to help you as you apply and interview: you will need more of a reason than "the financial markets fascinate me" and you're looking for something where you "can use [your] mathematical abilities." there are hundreds of thousands (if not more) students who provide those two same exact answers. as for how to distinguish yourself...what about the markets fascinates you? why?

Yes I want to go into trading. Perhaps "leaning towards trading" would have been better wording.

I appreciate all your help and that is part of why I signed up for Quant net.

So are you suggesting that in my Personal statement in my applications, I should go into more detail? Describe specific details about what I want to do after my graduate study?

My estimates were as follows:

Q: 750-800
V: 520-620

In my results I do not see my score on the old scale.
Verbal : 155/170 = (130+25)/170 = [130 + {((520+620)/2 - 200)/15}]/170.
Similarly : Quant = [130+{((750+800)/2 - 200)/15}]/170 = 168/170.

All I want to say is your GRE Quant should have been 168 and not 162. Please ask GRE how it can be interpreted .

Yes I want to go into trading. Perhaps "leaning towards trading" would have been better wording.

I appreciate all your help and that is part of why I signed up for Quant net.

So are you suggesting that in my Personal statement in my applications, I should go into more detail? Describe specific details about what I want to do after my graduate study?

that's exactly right. think long and hard about what you want to do and why.

The below is a verbatim comment from the Manhattan GRE Blog :-

750-800 Math estimates can end up all over the place – 750-800 was the best quant estimate that you could get on the revised GRE, but today that range can mean a score as low as the 85 percentile (based on scores we have heard so far). The fact that a range of 6 score values on the old test (750, 760, 770, 780, 790, 800) translates to at least 10 different score values on the new test (162, 163, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170) shows just how out of whack the old quant scale was. Unfortunately, it also means that receiving a 750-800 estimate on your quant doesn’t tell you much about what your official score will actually be.

Did anybody else receive the revised GRE score report ?

The below is a verbatim comment from the Manhattan GRE Blog :-

750-800 Math estimates can end up all over the place – 750-800 was the best quant estimate that you could get on the revised GRE, but today that range can mean a score as low as the 85 percentile (based on scores we have heard so far). The fact that a range of 6 score values on the old test (750, 760, 770, 780, 790, 800) translates to at least 10 different score values on the new test (162, 163, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170) shows just how out of whack the old quant scale was. Unfortunately, it also means that receiving a 750-800 estimate on your quant doesn’t tell you much about what your official score will actually be.

Did anybody else receive the revised GRE score report ?
have u given revised gre?

Yes, I took it on 18 October. I got a score range of Q:750-800, V : 550-650. I am keeping my fingers crossed at this moment, even though I am quite sure that I have got all questions right in the Quantitative Aptitude section. To be honest, the revised GRE score reports have been scary so far :devil:

Got mine, Quant=158,730-800 ,79%
Verbal=142;420-520;18%
Analytical =3.0,11%

Back