• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MIT MFin MIT MFin Admission Discussion

Retirement finance is a curiously attractive option to take. Funding longevity will be a major part of mathematical finance in years to come. They should be congratulated for adding it, and of course both lecturers come with a good rep.

Retirement finance is a curiously attractive option to take. Funding longevity will be a major part of mathematical finance in years to come. They should be congratulated for adding it, and of course both lecturers come with a good rep.
Yep, have begun to see some interest for modeling longevity swaps here.

As far as I can tell, this instrument hasn't yet moved from the actuarial domain (i.e., pose a survival model--most appear to be adaptations of the Lee-Carter model--and fit it to historical data) into the risk-neutral one (i.e., pose a reduced-form model and fit it to good data on traded instruments), though.

So today is the day that MIT releases its decisions for round I applicants. If their procedures for decision release are similar to those for their round I MBAs last monday, applicants will receive an email after 5:00PM ET with the decision. With this information I hope would save applicants from refreshing their inboxes or checking their phones once every 5 minutes before 5PM.

There are quite a number of MIT applications tracked in the tracker already. With the growing popularity of the MIT program, the number of round I applicants alone could possibly surpass the 950 total last year. So good luck to everyone!

While waiting, I want to share this link for the video of a recent MIT alumni event, where professor Andrew Lo speaks about behavioral finance vs quant finance (and its resemblance to physics). It's humurous, entertaining, and intellectually enlightening:

http://mitworld.mit.edu/video/794

The school just sent out an email saying that results are available for you to check online. Good luck!

Hi @PennyLess

Are you planning to or has already accepted the MIT offer? If so, I would love to keep in touch with you.
If you would like, please send me a private message on this forum or can look me up on the Admit photobook for contact details.

Peng

I still haven't received anything yet. .
frown.png

Hello everybody,
just wanted to open the round for people who received an offer from MIT for the MFin program starting in 2012. Please share your profile and thoughts on whether to enroll or choose another program.

My profile:
Finance Undergrad GPA 3.97
GMAT 730 (Q48, V42)
Work experience through internships ranging 2-6 months in Consulting (small firm), Audit (Big 4), Venture Capital (small firm Silicon Valley) and Private Equity (Frankfurt fund of a big BB)

I was really surprised by the offer as my Quant GMAT is not really strong and my maths background is much weaker than those of the typical applicant I guess.

Who else?

Congrats Sarah,
I think your profile fits what MIT MFin is looking for. They are doing all they can to appeal to a wider applicant pool and make clear that they do not want to be perceived as an MFE program because they are not. So the quant score is not as crucial admission factor as other MFE programs put the weight on.
You certainly can avoid the hardcore math course at MIT while Stochastic Calculus is the required course for first semester in most other MFE program.
Take a look at our wiki [wiki]mit-mfin[/wiki]

Thanks Andy,
yes MIT really is more general in comparison to the MFE programs - I did not apply to any of those as I am not looking for a quant degree bur rather a career in VC/PE. Still really surprised about the offer but excited as well and now looking into how to raise the money to pay the very high tuition.

Back