• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MIT vs Princeton vs Oxford (UK)

Interestingly, I got an offer today for credit analyst at JP Morgan here in Argentina. I will accept it as I have 6 months until the PhD starts. How is it the modeling like in the ib/non quant funds?

What part of JP Morgan is this with? Investment Banking? Asset Management?

This will help with what kind of modeling you'll be doing...they will be different...

It will probably be similar to what Fer described above. Lots of spreadsheets, financial statements, bogus assumptions, basic arithmetic.

You may be involved in some more advanced default rate modeling or interest rate modeling, but I don't know.

I wouldn't call it a quant role.

I know it's not a quant role. It's just something I will do until I start my PhD. Do you know where can I find Oxford PhD placements? I can't find them anywhere. Also, is Imperial better regarded than Oxford?

I didn't mean to imply that it's not a good role just because it's not a quant role. My apologies if it came off like that.

I think it's a solid route to go for the time being. I can't comment on your other question regarding placements, though.

I'm sorry if my answer sounded agressive it wasn't my intention. I know your answer wasn't pejorative.

Princeton does get a number of placements and offers from DE Shaw.

I'm not really sure Princeton has a true stats program. ORFE is really strong here and the prof who teaches our stats class (Rigollet) probably qualifies as a genius. He may be brutal to have as an advisor though.

Princeton will be more laid back than MIT. You don't have to take quals here on a section by section basis if you get A-s or better in your classes. We have a bar in the basement and the grad students do tend to have lives. The funding is also pretty generous.

I've finally chosen the Princeton ORFE PhD program. I'm not sure if I want to take the Stats, Probabilty or the Mathematical Finance route. I would like to work at a place like Jane Street, Two Sigma, and the like. My number one choice is Probabilty. I know they are very much alike. Will there be any difference when applying for these jobs?

Back