• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Money or Passion?

I am struggling with a decision and hope to get the perspectives of this community. I am a potential mid-career switcher.

My current career pays 2.5-3 times more than I’d make as an entry level engineer at a well known bank. It’d probably take 7 or more years to just get back to making the same amount of money that I do now. The problem is that I hate my current career despite the great pay. What would you do?

How do you know being an entry level engineer will satisfy your passion? What is your passion? Do you have to work at a bank or can you go to a tech firm or higher paying financial firm?

How do you know being an entry level engineer will satisfy your passion? What is your passion? Do you have to work at a bank or can you go to a tech firm or higher paying financial firm?
I will never know for sure unless I try. But being an engineer is my passion. I have spent many years doing it as basically a side hustle while continuing in my existing IB career simply because I always needed the money. Now I am wrapping up a masters in engineering and still have my day job while staying up all night afterward just to write software. That seems to tell me something.

“People often come to NYU and say, ‘Follow your passion’ — which is total bulls---, especially because the individual telling you to follow your passion usually became magnificently wealthy selling software as a service for the scheduling of health care maintenance workers. And I refuse to believe that that was his or her passion,” - Prof. Scott Galloway

Back