• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MS CS --> Quantitative Trading?

I'm in my first semester of Georgia Techs Online M.S. in Computer Science with plans to specialize in Machine Learning. I want to enter the field of quantitative finance. Would it make sense for me to apply to 'transfer' into the in-person M.S.?

Pros:
- Prestige (I'm curious to know the reputation of GT MSCS in quant circles)
- Research Opportunities - Complete a thesis
- Networking Opportunities - I've heard in-person = better networking opportunities. Don't know how to evaluate the quality of the network opportunities.

Cons:
-Costlier - tuition triples and I will not be working
-Full Time - I'm completing my degree part time, so I can pursue internships in the meantime. If I'm a full time student, I'm assuming I cannot

Other context:
-23 y/o
-top 20 undergrad with STEM degree (systems engr.) with mediocre GPA (~3.5)
-shabby work experience (work at a small company in an unrelated industry doing consulting/ analytics work). Just landed my first internship in SWE at a startup.
-some of my friends (2 or 3) work at top hedge funds (different ones)
-I can complete up to one year / 15 credits online before I am precluded from transferring to in-person
-assume that I will have a very high GPA in my current program

In general I would like to know the general path to quant. finance for someone in my position. In undergrad, it seemed like the path was do SWE or data internships early at a target school in order to get interviews. How do expectations change for graduate programs?

Thank you.

Back