• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MS Finance School Confusion

Hello Everyone. I am an undergraduate student (3-year degree from India) of management with a major in Finance. I also have cleared Financial Risk Management (FRM) Part 1 exam. Currently, I am preparing for FRM Part 2 and CFA L1. I also have 15 months of internship experience (8 months in finance, 7 months in NGO). I have done various online courses on Python, Quantitative finance and excel modelling.
Now, I am looking forward to an MS in Finance. However, I can't apply to those programs that require hardcore mathematics or programming skills, such as Carnegie Mellon MSF.

This is my current status on my masters
1. UCSD (Rady) - MFin - admitted (but didn't accept the offer)
2. Uni. of Rochester (Simon) - MFin - admitted (confirmed my seat)
3. MIT - MFin - rejected
4. NUS - awaiting (interview went great)
5. Washington Uni. St. Louis - MS in quant finance - waitlisted
6. Yale - MMS in asset management - Awaited

If not Yale, I am really interested in Simon.
So, what are your views on which uni. should I go for?

A lot of profiles in this forum are geared towards quant, so you may not get many answers. I would pick the school that you can afford with the most interesting coursework.

The MSF program in UCSD put a lot of emphasis on econometrics, which is helpful for many sell-side quant analyst positions. I remember that its career statistic is better than UR MSF if you're less interested in traditional corporate finance.

If you want to become a buy-side quant, I'd like to say that MIT Mfin is the best option among all the programs you listed. WUSTL MQF is also much preferred in the buy-side world in comparison with the other program you listed.

The MSF program in UCSD put a lot of emphasis on econometrics, which is helpful for many sell-side quant analyst positions. I remember that its career statistic is better than UR MSF if you're less interested in traditional corporate finance.

If you want to become a buy-side quant, I'd like to say that MIT Mfin is the best option among all the programs you listed. WUSTL MQF is also much preferred in the buy-side world in comparison with the other program you listed.
My plan is to enter the asset management/risk management industry. So, considering this, How's the UR MSF program?
Also, UCSD MSF career statistics are not given on the website, so maybe they are not that great.

My plan is to enter the asset management/risk management industry. So, considering this, How's the UR MSF program?
Also, UCSD MSF career statistics are not given on the website, so maybe they are not that great.
My view might be biased as I know about a Rady Graduate who works at UBS in China for an option pricing position, the feedback about this program is quite positive. As for the UR MSF program, I know nothing more than its website:) Anyway, good luck with your application.

Back