• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MS in Finance

My background is in Computer Engg(from India).I want to pursue a career in the financial domain but would not like to be in quantitative finance.What I am looking for is a role that demands skills in investment management,financial markets,money matters,trading securities etc.

I am interested in a Masters in Finance program that has minimal math requirements. Most of the Masters programs in the US are quant-centric.UK universities do offer programs that are more to my liking(less math).But I am worried about the job scenario.
Some of the programs that I found interesting were the ones offered by Warwick,Leeds.
Are the programs popular among employers?

First I think you are mistaken about the US masters in finance (MFin) programs being "quant-centric" and are confusing MFin with a masters in financial engineering (MFE) which is very quantitative.

Warwick is a pretty good university but I've no idea about their placements. I still am of the opinion that in the UK to really maximize job opportunities as a foreign student you need to go to Oxbridge or a university in London (Imperial, Cass, LSE, LBS).

But there are a number of differences in choosing whether to do a masters in the US versus the UK. Cost of living, job opportunities, length of program, etc.

@Connor,Thanks for replying.Actually I meant that most top schools in the US offered only MFE which is very quant-oriented.If you could provide me with the rankings of MFin programs in the US I would be grateful.

As regards other factors,I have read that a UK masters in finance from a reputed university is generally well accepted across Asia.So if I do end up without a job in the UK after completion of MSc, at least I would have the comfort of returning to India knowing that my earned degree would stand in good stead.So thats +1 for UK.

A few more +s of going for MSc in the UK:
1.Less expensive
2.Shorter duration-1 year

There are going to pros and cons to either US or UK.

On your points:
1) The UK could be less expensive but not necessarily. You have to take into account cost of living, currency exchange, and tuition. I just completed a 1year MSc Finance in the UK and after exchange rates and traveling home a few times, I could have easily done a 2year masters in the US for less.

2) Duration - Generally yes, but for example Cambridge's MFin is 2years and I believe Tulane's is 1year. Shorter is necessarily better, you usually need up taking a comparable number of classes between the US and UK. But in the UK you just take more at once. For example in the US full-time graduate study is considered 9 hours or 3 classes. In my UK program we did 4 classes the first semester, 6 in the second and a dissertation over the summer. A flexible masters in the US could be completed in less than 2 years.

Best thing to do would be apply to top programs in both the US and UK and then weigh your options once you received an offer from multiple programs. Good luck!

@connor,thanks again for replying.Good to know that you completed your MSc in Finance from UK.If you don't mind, from which university did you complete your MSc?
Could you share your experiences with respect to the foll points:

1.Quality of the program
2.Teaching quality
3.Job placement facilities
4.Return on investment.
Also,if you could give a general perspective on the current job scenario...
Thanks.

I need some expert advice. I want to do a masters in finance in the US or UK.
I ve done my UG in chemical engg from one of the premier universities of India. The course includes C and C++ and I ve done a course on Matlab. Now doing a course in simulation as well..

My GRE score is 790 quant and 520 verbal. Seems like a definite sad score :(

Any chance of getting into good US universities ? Apart from the top 5 ??
Also do i stand a chance of getting in at LSE ?

@connor,thanks again for replying.Good to know that you completed your MSc in Finance from UK.If you don't mind, from which university did you complete your MSc?
Could you share your experiences with respect to the foll points:

1.Quality of the program
2.Teaching quality
3.Job placement facilities
4.Return on investment.
Also,if you could give a general perspective on the current job scenario...
Thanks.

University of Edinburgh in Scotland

1. It's a good university but it isn't known for business. I found the program fairly weak but I think this was due to it being a fairly young program.

2. 50/50, I had some pure academics that were really bad and some good. And then I had a few professors that were currently working in industry. For example, an investment manager taught my portfolio theory class in the evenings when he got off work.

3. There is a university-wide career center that is okay but nothing specific to the program. Actually talked to the program director about this and how the MBA program there has a dedicated person within the program to help students find jobs but currently there is nothing for the MSc Finance.

4. Hard to say. The job market was really bad during the time I was there looking and I believe needing a UK work visa hurt me (many of my EU friends got jobs and the ones with previous finance experience from jobs or internships had the easiest time). The curriculum isn't really anything unique but the overall experience was very positive. Edinburgh is an amazing city and I made some great lifelong friends.

From my perspective right now, getting a job in a country you need a visa to work/live in is very difficult. I remember seeing something in the news about the UK cutting the number of visas they would be issuing too. Even in the US, employers are preferring students that don't need visas but I think the opportunities as still better here in the US.

I think if your first priority is getting a great job then go with Oxbridge or one of the big name universities in London. But if you are open to going to either the US or UK, then I think it would be a disadvantage for you to only apply to universities in one country. Apply to the top universities that fit your profile in both countries.

I need some expert advice. I want to do a masters in finance in the US or UK.
I ve done my UG in chemical engg from one of the premier universities of India. The course includes C and C++ and I ve done a course on Matlab. Now doing a course in simulation as well..

My GRE score is 790 quant and 520 verbal. Seems like a definite sad score :(

Any chance of getting into good US universities ? Apart from the top 5 ??
Also do i stand a chance of getting in at LSE ?

Hey dude, are you from Goa? The best MFin programs are Princeton, MIT, London Business School, LSE. If you are able to get into any of the top 10 programs, you will probably be able to get visa sponsorship for a job. If you do the degree from a program ranked below Top 10, it is very unlikely that the employers will be willing to sponsor the work permit. So you will have to go back home with your degree. IIT guys are very successful over here in USA. Most of the other Engineering grads will have to return back home to India.

Hey dude, are you from Goa? The best MFin programs are Princeton, MIT, London Business School, LSE. If you are able to get into any of the top 10 programs, you will probably be able to get visa sponsorship for a job. If you do the degree from a program ranked below Top 10, it is very unlikely that the employers will be willing to sponsor the work permit. So you will have to go back home with your degree. IIT guys are very successful over here in USA. Most of the other Engineering grads will have to return back home to India.

Lol...

Just because his name is Mervin Gomes he could be from Goa? Good catch actually.

Where are you from "TraderJoe" ?

Lol...

Just because his name is Mervin Gomes he could be from Goa? Good catch actually.

Where are you from "TraderJoe" ?

originally from Goa, been in New York City for past two years. It was based mostly on his last name, which is Goan.

4. Hard to say. The job market was really bad during the time I was there looking and I believe needing a UK work visa hurt me (many of my EU friends got jobs and the ones with previous finance experience from jobs or internships had the easiest time).

Thanks again for replying.Do you recommend working in India for a couple of years before pursuing an MSc or an MFin degree?Would working in the Risk advisory Services department of a firm such as E&Y be of any significance in improving my profile for admission as well as for post MSc placements?

It will be difficult for me to get a job at a place like JPMorgan for the position of research analyst as my academic background is not so strong.(62% in Computer Engg.).Hence Risk Advisory.

I think if your first priority is getting a great job then go with Oxbridge or one of the big name universities in London. But if you are open to going to either the US or UK, then I think it would be a disadvantage for you to only apply to universities in one country. Apply to the top universities that fit your profile in both countries.

Well I am not looking at the top universities for 2 particular reasons:
1.Me having a weak profile(no work ex,low aggregate)
2.They are really expensive.

Also I had given the GRE and scored 1390 but managed only 710 in quant.Should I retake the GRE?

I think Risk Advisory at E&Y even if just for 1-2 years will be a benefit. And you should try for the position at JPMorgan anyway because you never know.

If your academics are weak then you need to be able to compensate for that weakness somewhere in your profile. For example, you could compensate by having work experience, high GRE/GMAT scores, etc.

If you plan on applying to US programs then you will need to retake the GRE, but looking at Oxford and Warwick they both look at the GMAT. And it sounds like you are leaning more towards the UK so I would say take the GMAT.

Don't let your perceived weak profile cause you to not apply to universities. And if cost is an issue then take that into consideration when looking at programs to apply for. You should be applying to 2-8 programs so you can have a range of programs in there in terms of prestige, cost and location.

Also, I would recommend some self-study in finance so that you have a basic understanding of things and to start finding specific areas of interest. You want to be able to show your interest and passion in your statement of purpose.

And you should look early because there are scholarships open to international students with deadlines earlier than admission deadlines (saw a link for this on Warwick).

Back