• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MS in Scientific Computing - Courant

I'm interested in computational finance/financial engineering, but I'd like to get a more general degree than an MFE (general intellectual curiosity, plus I have a friend at Deutsche Bank warning me against MFE right now.) I'm considering a phD in Statistics or computational mathematics, but NYU's Scientific Computing program looks amazing. I was wondering if any of you have been through that program or know of others who have. Can that degree lead into quant finance or some other career that could offset the intimidating cost?

I think would get in, as I'm expecting at least 80% on the GRE mathematics subject test and I already have an MA in Mathematics, so I'm trying to do a little preliminary research here. I was also going to ask about success stories from Purdue's computational finance program (as that's another place I'm looking), but I found another thread with that topic.

Thanks!

~E

MFE gives to the students two main things:

1. Ability to apply math and programming to finance (by explaining how financial instruments work, and which tools used model them);
2. Networking (many of the MFE students already work in financial companies, and most of the rest will join them after graduation, therefore it will be easier to look for a job knowing insiders).

Scientific computing program does not address any of these advantages. If you want to go to the financial engineering why would choose scientific computing?

If you want to do PhD, it's a different story. You don't need to spend big bucks for an expensive masters.

Adding to previous note, PhD for sciences are "financed" through research. So basically, quite a few programs would cover tuition (at least first 5 years).
If your goal is purely academical in the area of scientific computing, then applied math or computer science PhD would give you the opportunity for research.

Back