• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MSc Finance + MSc Applied Mathematics = MFE?

Some background: I am from Jamaica, and an MFE program is not available here. Also, I am about to join the army here and they may/may not send me overseas for education.

However, one of the schools here offers an MSc in Finance.... currently I know (or dont think) that I will not get into a school overseas (America or UK). I was thinking this could be another route in becoming a quant...

I guess another option would be to try and get into financial engineering after I get an MSc in Finance, but I dont like this idea too much as it would seem like I am doing something twice, plus, the MSc in Applied Math would go into more details.

What are your opinions on this?

You can enter quantitative finance from different directions. MFE is just one of them.
Applied Math or Finance are others. It all depends on the curriculum of each program and the self-education portion.
In this market, there is no "winning/unique recipe" for quant position.

ok, thanks for your input. I gather then that most of being a quant is self education? apart from education, there is still much more to learn?

ok, thanks for your input. I gather then that most of being a quant is self education? apart from education, there is still much more to learn?

Self-education is an important part. However graduate level studies are also necessary in most cases. They impose a certain structure, a starting point to delve in certain areas of interest. As I mentioned, there is really no recipe.
Start building a strong mathematical foundation and a good financial feeling.

Back