• TIME TO 2024 UK RANKINGS

• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MSc in Risk Management and FE or Financial Mathematics

Hello to everyone,

I need some good advice about which course to follow next year.
I got admitted to Imperial College MSc in Risk Management and Financial Engineering at Tanaka's Business School and to Warwick Msc in Financial Mathematics in their Mathematics Department. I am not sure about what job I would like to get, probably a front office quant job, but given the crisis I am not sure whether I would succeed in attaining it, I may end becoming a risk manager, in which case the Imperial course would be better, I suppose. The last statement I think becomes more true in a situation, such as the present one, in which risk management is gaining more importance.

Here the two programs:

The Warwick MSc
http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/pgprospectus/facultiesanddepartments/businessschool/postgraduatecourses/mscriskmngmt

Among the electives at Imperial, I would choose for sure Introduction to and Advanced C ++, and maybe credit risk e Advanced credit
derivatives and structured products, in order to study PDE
(here the detailed program:
http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/business-school/programmes/msc-risk-management/programmedetails/electives )

What do you guys would suggest?
Any opinion is well accepted.

ps: up to now, I know quite nothing about finance. So the MSc at Imperial may be also more valuable

email current students from both program is you can. Search QN for more advice

Thanks for your suggestion, but I have no idea about how to find them...

Well, thanks a lot...oooh google, what is it?amazing, I didn't know that if you type something and think hard about it then the prodigious google would automatically give you the answer.
By the way, mr genius, by searching with google you will find NOTHING. Only some testimonials with rarely a name below it and never an email. Of course then I'll need you to tell me how to google a name, but then?search for a facebook profile?Well, a very rigorous method, thank you.
I think it would be better if you try to really help someone asking for help, and without being so presumptuous

Warwick is a well regarded program in the UK. So is Imperial. We are not comparing apple to apple here so unless you are certain of your future career choice, it's hard to say which is the right choice for you at the moment.
Risk management is under appreciated and always in need so there are always hiring somewhere, somehow especially under the current market light. However, keep in mind that the majority of people doing these type of programs (be it FE, QF, MF or whatever it is called) target the front office type jobs.

There is nothing with a risk manager, despite the boring label people associate it with. If you are at the right place, you can make as much money as everyone else.

The next step for you would be to research on what a risk manager does daily, picture yourself in that role in the next 10 years or so. If not, ask yourself what other roles would you see yourself in.

On another note, I'm sure you somehow realize that we are mostly US centric so UK-based knowledge is hard to come by. That said, I would suggest that you contact Dominic Connor, one of our members here. I take that he has a fair view on the many UK programs in question, dealing with its graduates and the programs themselves.

Advice on how to deal with answers you may find unhelpful: the vast majority of people on Quantnet is extremely friendly and helpful so just don't overreact and just wait for the right one to come along. Quantnet is not known for its friendliness for nothing.

Back