• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MSF/MFE program selection, ideas guys

I've been in that building so I know what it looks like.

Using NYU career services is different than using the job/internship leads available to NYU MSFM students.
Really informative. Thank you Andy! But...What's good for career service if it cannot provide service in internship/job leads. Of course Poly students cannot compete with Courant MMF students in job/internship hunting, but at least it is NYU career service, ain't it gonna provide some solid help?

Many ppl (including me) are anxiously waiting for Quantnet MFE latest rankings..that will surely help u in program selection..

Many ppl (including me) are anxiously waiting for Quantnet MFE latest rankings..that will surely help u in program selection..
Isn't the new ranking supposed to be released next year? It would be funny to see how programs move upside down in the ranking? Maybe the Mfin of MIT is going to enter QuantNet ranking.

I'm afraid my options cannot enter that list. Then it's no good for my decision making.

for impatient ppl such as me...according to my research till date, the order of top mfe courses will be NYU>UCB>CMU>Columbia>UCLA>MIT>Cornell>rest

Just received words from a top MFE program, turns out they rejected me because of my undergraduate institute. Ain't that disappointing...

Just received words from a top MFE program, turns out they rejected me because of my undergraduate institute. Ain't that disappointing...

Did they give you a reason for the reject? Or are you guessing?
Just curious.. as I received a reject from a top MFE program too and have been wondering what must have gone wrong.

Did they give you a reason for the reject? Or are you guessing?
Just curious.. as I received a reject from a top MFE program too and have been wondering what must have gone wrong.
Official rejection letter mentioned nothing. I got these words from other valid resources.

What do you mean by that? Seems strange. Maybe there is something lost in translation.
I mean my undergraduate university was never unheard of to those admission officers. They only accept students from very famous universities in China.

Second one is Rutgers University in New Brunswick. I got admitted to its Financial Statistics and Risk Management program, which is held in the Statistics department. The course setting is attractive, but considering the program starts accepting students from this fall, placement is unclear.
Where did you first hear about the Rutgers FSRM program? Is it here on Quantnet?
By the way, I have added the Rutgers FSRM program to the Tracker so you may want to add your timelines there as well.

You can't really compare programs with comparable size because they have far different resources dedicated to the students. CMU, for example, split the students in two campus, is from business school and have full-time career services people.
Poly does not have that level of resources available to the students. They are in Brooklyn, not Manhattan, the center of NYC. There is a big difference.
Going to Poly, you will have very stiff competition, first, to get noticed and then to compete. Opportunities for students in other local programs (Baruch, NYU, CMU,etc) outnumbers those to lesser known programs like (Poly, Fordham, etc). That means you have to be outstanding, outshine your peers, work harder than them, and willing to go the extra miles to get a job. Being at Poly Brooklyn does not help at all but it shouldn't stop you if you are very determined.
Don't expect to go there, be one unknown student among the hundreds. If you know the hurdles and confident you can outwork other people, then you may want to consider it.

hey. i also got admitted in the MQF program at rutgers and MFE at NYU POLY. i need to make my final decision really soon. please help.!! andy: if u had to pick one out of the two, which one would u choose?
please, anyone else's opinion would also be greatly appreciated. thanks!
and by the way, MFE at poly has changed its campus to manhattan. i got accepted over there only.!!

Back