• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

MSF/MFE program selection, ideas guys

and by the way, MFE at poly has changed its campus to manhattan. i got accepted over there only.!!
Can you provide more info on this? The program's main campus and dept are in Brooklyn. It always has satellite classroom in 55 Board St but saying Poly moved its campus to Manhattan is a big deal. I need to see confirmation on this.

Can you provide more info on this? The program's main campus and dept are in Brooklyn. It always has satellite classroom in 55 Board St but saying Poly moved its campus to Manhattan is a big deal. I need to see confirmation on this.
When I applied for POLY, the program was said to be held in Brooklyn campus. Yet the admission letter mentioned only Manhattan campus. Still waiting for an official explanation.

yes i'm sure that nyu poly MFE is now in manhattan because it says so in my admission offer i received from the school. but why is that a big deal? the name on the degree will still be of poly only. the entire merger will be in 2013.

@Fall
I was referring to moving a whole department to another borough is a big deal, logistically. It does not have anything to do with the degree quality or perception.
I sent a NYU-Poly program's faculty member who is a member on Quantnet. Hopefully he can give us some info and answer to questions here.

okay thanks. and please let me know which one out of the two u think is better.

nyu poly mfe is in brooklyn only. it was a misprint in the admission letters.

Regarding 55 Broad vs. Brooklyn, the program leverages the strengths of both locations, as always. Perhaps a clerk recorded this admission in this way for the sake of clerical convenience or something.

Regarding 55 Broad vs. Brooklyn, the program leverages the strengths of both locations, as always. Perhaps a clerk recorded this admission in this way for the sake of clerical convenience or something.

ur really poly faculty? would u be able to give me some information about the job placements for students? and how good are they compared to rutgers?

I would like to hear more about Poly placement too.

Why not Rutgers? it seems like a good school. i do not know about the placments but theyr are pretty aware of quantitative finance, since they have 2 programs

I got admitted to Rutgers FSRM program. Do you know sth about their Quantitative program placement? doesn't have to be MSMF or MQF. Many thanks!

As for the Rutgers FSRM program, make sure you read this
http://www.quantnet.com/forum/threads/rutgers-to-launch-third-quant-master-program.5228/

There are always risk to go into a brand new program. It's rare that they will get it right on the first year. They will get better eventually but it takes time and you do not want to spend time and money for someone's experiment.

I am admitted to FSRM program. I know there is risk over there. But how is reputation of Rutgers quantitative part on NYC job market? do you know sth about this, Andy?

In terms of the risk, what might be the possible negative sides to us? when you say "it is rare they get it right at the first year", why is that? I mean the program is designed as there are demand of FSRM people on the market, right?

I got admitted to Rutgers FSRM program. Do you know sth about their Quantitative program placement? doesn't have to be MSMF or MQF. Many thanks!
I got admitted to that program too. It started to accept students this fall so there is no available stats about placement. MSMF is good, MQF, however, I didn't hear much good news about it. Most of MQF students are Chinese and most of them go back to China to find a job. That's just what I heard. Maybe I'm a little biased. Correct me if I was wrong.

I am more concerning about FSRM program at Rutgers. It is new and seems nobody can really comment something. I see you have chosen NYU IS program. How has that program been reputed around?

I am more concerning about FSRM program at Rutgers. It is new and seems nobody can really comment something.
It is new so nobody will know anything about it... and if you hear something about this program, either good or bad, that's just speculation because nobody has gone through it yet.

I am more concerning about FSRM program at Rutgers. It is new and seems nobody can really comment something. I see you have chosen NYU IS program. How has that program been reputed around?
Heard no useful stats from Chinese forums. However I found this program praised a lot in an Indian forum called Edulix. Many people choose this program over the one in CMU. There was also one current IS student in this program who stated that almost everybody got employed after graduation. Several students got multiple offers. To me I think the premium location of Manhattan and the chance to take up to seven courses in Stern attracted me most.

Regarding the info on quantnet about NYU-poly program, please see www.quantnet.com/wiki/NYU_Poly
The info is edited by Poly faculty so it can't be wrong.
About the large class size, people misread what was written. In 2009, they admitted 200+ students of which about 70 students enrolled. There is nothing on quantnet that said the program has 200+ students in each cohort.
That said, the program has hundreds of student at any given time, making it the biggest one.
Andy - I can't access the wiki link mentioned above. Have they been removed or is it restricted to certain members of the community?

Back