• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

need advice for C++ pre-program online course

Hi, there, I am an applicant for 2014 MFE program. I did not take any programing course in college, instead I have read some C++ and matlab books by myself. However, to take a C++ online course, I think it's better for my admission competition and my future study.
I know there are such C++ refresher courses provided by Baruch, UCLA and Berkeley.
Anyone has idea which one has better course design and reputation? I have read some threads that some people have bad experience in Berkeley refresher course.
Whats your guys advices? Thanks.

How does a 'refresher course' differ from let's say QN C++ online hands-on course?

IMO the only way to learn C++ is to code in C++ (just reading books on its own is pointless). And the TAs here give great support which is vital when you are coming to terms with this powerful language.

(I am the originator of this course).

I am biased but nowhere do I see a course delivering the same depth and relevance to computational finance as this one.

Last edited:
How does a 'refresher course' differ from let's say QN C++ online hands-on course?

IMO the only way to learn C++ is to code in C++. And the TAs here give great support which is vital when you are coming to terms with this powerful language.

(I am the originator of this course).

I am biased but nowhere do I see a course delivering the same depth and relevance to computational finance as this one.
Thanks, Daniel, I agree with you this course is excellent based on others' feedback and my research. Actually I planed to enroll in it in Jan.
However, I just know other universities also provide similar online courses about C++. Just want more advice.

Back