• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Need some advice on GRE test

I just get to know my GRE score, V710 Q780 W3.0, since writing score looks horrible, should I retake the test? NYU, CMU and Berkeley are the schools I'd like to get into.
Other info: Undergraduate MATH&FINANCE Major from Ohio State. GPA 3.4 now, mostly contributed by courses from finance major, math major GPA3.7+. Hopefully can get that overall GPA up to 3.5+by September, and to get passed CFA I this June. Had a couple internships over summers but none of them are Quant related.
Please lead me the way.
Many thanks!

Your AW score is definitely poor but your overall score and decent GPA ought to offset this, however, your chances obviously will be greater with a more rounded score. I took mine in Jan and got Q760 V680 AW6 and GPA is 3.9

Are you a native English speaker or international student? How long have you been in the US?

Is this for whether to take TOEFL or not?
Or any other important reason why being in USA and being native English speaker matters?

Thanks

I know the admission process of one of the programs mentioned by the OP well.
If you are American or have been living/studying in the US for some years, it would have more weight than what your GRE Verbal and AWA say.
Between two applicants from the same country, one who has moved to US to study would be advantaged over the other even his verbal, awa is slightly lower.
That does mean it's ok to write bad grammar in your essay if you are American because you are not the only domestic applicants.

Are you a native English speaker or international student? How long have you been in the US?
If you are the former, then it's a moot point.
Your AWA may be a small wrt other things like math courses, programming skill, personal essay.

I'm not a native, but it's the third year studying here. I know Java and C++ a bit, have taken couple classes, and also familiar with enterprise valuation model, M&A,and leverage buyout in Excel, this is as far as I get in computer stuff. Thinking to apply by first round ends, as I understand that give me a little more chance to get in.
I will focus on improving GPA and get CFA I exam passes in next months, it may not leave any time for taking a well prepared second GRE test. So i'm puzzled...Thank you for replay anyway, much appreciated!
Wei

Back