• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

New here and in need of starting tips

Hi all!

Been looking into the Quant field and about to start reading Ernest P Chans Quant Trading book to grasp the key concepts from which I can build on.

I have read trough some posts here but not many matched up to my situation and the questions I have.

A quick background on myself, I just turned 24, graduated from a London university with a BSc Hons in Mathematics and Statistics (I've also got a A Level Math qualification and a poor grade Physics A Level (got a D in that!!)).

Currently I am working in the City (London) for a top Swiss private bank in Wealth Management and have been here for the past 3 years now.

I'm looking for a way to break into the quantitative side of banking and finance as I'm a lot more interested in analysis, number crunching, coding and trading than Wealth Management.

Any tips on where to go next? Ideally I want to avoid going back in to University where possible but not completely off the cards!

Thank you!

You seem to have the background required, in which case you'd just apply to jobs or contact recruiters. Not sure what you're worried about. What are your weaknesses? How's your coding?

You seem to have the background required, in which case you'd just apply to jobs or contact recruiters. Not sure what you're worried about. What are your weaknesses? How's your coding?
Hmm I'm in the process of reading up and exploring further into coding but I've used MatLab for my undergrad degree and also for my final year project. I would say this is my weakness and working on it.

So coding is a weakness, but besides that I don't see why you believe you need something extra special to break in. Have you tried yet?

Back