• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

New in NYC..

which part of NYC is good for accommodation. I consider Safety and ease of conveyance a priority..

Ill be studying in brooklyn. However the cost of staying there is a little on the higher side!

I will be studying in Brooklyn too (NYU-Poly) I booked my ticket for the 15th I got a week stay at a YMCA until I figure out a good place to live. I will be looking for rental since the dorm prices are way too high. Any advice will be much appreciated.

it all depends how much rent someone wants to pay.. the farther u go from the city (Manhattan), prices drop significantly..

it all depends how much rent someone wants to pay.. the farther u go from the city (Manhattan), prices drop significantly..
I was thinking less than 1000$/month for a studio or even a small one bed around Brooklyn.

reda : then my suggestion would be to live with others; you lower costs this way...get used to it

Majority of New Yorkers don't live near work/study so for 1,000 you may as well go to the Bronx, Queens. You surely can find a full one bedroom there for that price. Don't look on craigslist.
This is hard to do from oversea. You have to walk around the neighborhoods, knock on building manager's office to ask. This would take weeks or months.

Majority of New Yorkers don't live near work/study so for 1,000 you may as well go to the Bronx, Queens. You surely can find a full one bedroom there for that price. Don't look on craigslist.
This is hard to do from oversea. You have to walk around the neighborhoods, knock on building manager's office to ask. This would take weeks or months.

Rentals has gone up since last 2010. For $1000, I am sure you can find studio in Brooklyn or Jersey city. Look for units in Jersey City. It would be a long commute to Brooklyn though. In the City it is next to impossible from my experience.

I pay $600/month in Brooklyn, but its in a dodgy neighborhood, a temp situation, I live in a closet, and have 9 other housemates. Go figure.

I was thinking less than 1000$/month for a studio or even a small one bed around Brooklyn.
I used to rent in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn - a very nice and quiet neighborhood and was paying 780$ for a studio ~5 years ago. Last I heard the prices are about $900 a month. It is a bit far from midtown Manhattan, but is a 25-30 min train ride from Poly. Also, I believe that if you are an international student, it will be difficult to rent a decent place without credit history and a social security #. Lots of smaller land lords would probably ask for a big security deposit or you would need someone to co-sign your lease.

I used to rent in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn - a very nice and quiet neighborhood and was paying 780$ for a studio ~5 years ago. Last I heard the prices are about $900 a month. It is a bit far from midtown Manhattan, but is a 25-30 min train ride from Poly. Also, I believe that if you are an international student, it will be difficult to rent a decent place without credit history and a social security #. Lots of smaller land lords would probably ask for a big security deposit or you would need someone to co-sign your lease.
I am not an international student, I think I have a very good credit and I think there are many decent studios in brooklyn for that price range (I am trusting Zillow on this). I don't think I will ever get used to nyc prices, I live in Phoenix AZ, in a Luxury 2 bed apt with Lake view for 800$. Anywhoo does anybody know how long does a rental property stay on the market?

Get used to living in hell, with a crap view for a ton of cash. If you can get a quant role in any city other than NYC, in the early years, I strongly suggest it. NYC is great when you are a VP and up.

Get used to living in hell, with a crap view for a ton of cash. If you can get a quant role in any city other than NYC, in the early years, I strongly suggest it. NYC is great when you are a VP and up.

I disagree. You can live in a nice place like valley stream or anywhere in queens for that matter and get a really nice 1 bedroom for $1,200. When just "starting out" just because you work in NYC doesn't mean you have to live in NYC...

Back