• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Newbie needs help!

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, and I was hoping someone like Andy could give me some good advices on my complicated situation.

I am currently a senior at UCLA major in Math/Econ(GPA:3.5) with a minor in Stats(GPA:3.87). Overall GPA: 3.65
GRE: Q800, V500

My end goal is to becoming a quant, and now I have been thinking that I took the wrong path, since I didn't apply for any MFE programs instead of 5 MA programs in Statistics. And the reason behind that was simple, first I got a lot of influences by my statistic professors and was struggling for a while, then I heard it somewhere saying that most of the MFE program requires applicants to have some working experiments prior applying. And now I am feeling so regretted of what I have done. Is there anyway to make it up now? should I wait for another year to apply for MFE programs? or Should I just complete my MA degree in Statistics first then apply for MFE? how much helpful is it going to be in the field of quant with a MA degree in Statistics. And on average, is it really necessary to have some finance related working experiment for getting into top MFE programs?

Thanks for spending time on reading it, and hope you guys could help me out!

Get some work experience for 1 year and apply to MFE next year.

Is it necessary to have a working experience in all the universities for MFE? One more question: Which is a better choice MFE, MS or MBA? I mean generally. Thanks. Hope I won't hijack this thread and move you off-topic.

Is it necessary to have a working experience in all the universities for MFE? One more question: Which is a better choice MFE, MS or MBA? I mean generally. Thanks. Hope I won't hijack this thread and move you off-topic.
Search the forum. There has been lots of discussion about this.

I am not talking from an expert point of view. I am applying to MFE too for next year. But judging from the research I have done, on universities websites, forums and chats, it seems that experience helps, if not for the acceptance, but at least for you to know what you want, and believe me you usually don;t know what you want until you start working.
When it comes to better choice, it depends on your career goals. I already have an MBA and feel that I need an MFE to get closer to my goal. So, there is no better choice. But for a top MBA, you need 4-5 years work experience.

But judging from the research I have done, on universities websites, forums and chats, it seems that experience helps, if not for the acceptance

Yeah that's what I meant. I was interested whether it is necessary to have experience for admission purpose or just useful when studding. I am also applying for MBA this year.

thanks for the input guys, guess maybe I will just find a job first.. then apply after one year or two...

Back