• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

NROTC to PHD

During undergrad, I plan on doing NROTC Marine Option while studying math/CS.

After my time in the Marines, I plan doing a PHD program in mathematics with an intent of heading into the quant field.

Will my lack of internships during undergrad due to ROTC hurt my career chances? Will my entering the career field late due to serving in the Marines hurt my chances?

Thank you guys.

I don't think the lack of internships during your undergrad will hurt you because the time between your undergrad and finishing the PhD will be so long.

Important thing for you will be to get some research experience during your undergrad and have professors that will write great letters of recommendation for you.

You could possibly fit in a summer internship or two during your PhD...

During undergrad, I plan on doing NROTC Marine Option while studying math/CS.

After my time in the Marines, I plan doing a PHD program in mathematics with an intent of heading into the quant field.

Will my lack of internships during undergrad due to ROTC hurt my career chances? Will my entering the career field late due to serving in the Marines hurt my chances?

Thank you guys.

I have a question. Could you be called into active duty? If that is the case, don't worry about any issues until after you are done with the service.

I have a question. Could you be called into active duty? If that is the case, don't worry about any issues until after you are done with the service.

He said "after my time in the marines", so yes, service is basically mandatory.

He said "after my time in the marines", so yes, service is basically mandatory.
He'll have to be discharged after the mandatory service, though, so he can avoid being called up after.

EDIT: Looks like it's 3 years Active Duty, and 5 years on reserve. Yikes!

Back