• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

NYU Math Finance (Part-Time)

Hi Guys,

I am a newbie here. I am interested in pursuing MSFE from NYU (part-time) as I don't want to leave my current job.

I currently work at a Hedge Fund in NYC area as a Business Analyst in Risk. I have an MBA from a decent school. I have taken some programming classes, but do not have math or engineering background. I have around 8 years of experience working in financial field(not technical though).

My question is do I have a shot to get into that program given they hire folks from math background? What is typical GRE score do they require?

Thanks in advance.

I am not too familiar with the NYU-Poly MSFE program, but given that you also mentioned they "hire folks from math background", did you mean NYU MSFM?

I don't think the average GRE score for part-time students has ever been made publicly available. Given the lack of information, I would use their full-time score as a baseline. For part-time admissions, as long as you have taken the minimum math courses outlined on their website (multivariable calculus, linear algebra, calculus-based probability), you should be fine. What they will look at is your work experience and what you are aiming to get out of the degree. Feel free to PM me if you have any additional questions.

I've applied for NYU math finance part time. Have a 312 in GRE. Around 9 years of programming experience , currently working for an investment bank. CFA level 3 candidate , not that it really makes any difference. Let's see what they say.

Thanks Sreekant and Good luck. When do you think they usually tell you about admit/reject for PT? Isn't session starting in a few weeks?

Back