• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

NYU Math Finance

Hi everyone. I applied to NYU 22fall math finance.

Does anyone receive offers up to now? cause I notice that in the last year, there was someone who already received the offer in Feb.

It seems that the video has been already reviewed. But there is no new update on it.

I saw someone posted an email that the program has recommended him to the GSAS on Feb 4th on a Chinese social media. Hope this information helps.

I saw someone posted an email that the program has recommended him to the GSAS on Feb 4th on a Chinese social media. Hope this information helps.
I think math finance is on GSAS right? my application system shows it is GSAS. So, I don't know what you mean by "recommended him to GSAS"?

Did I do something wrong with my application?

I think math finance is on GSAS right? my application system shows it is GSAS. So, I don't know what you mean by "recommended him to GSAS"?

Did I do something wrong with my application?
This is common for all MFE and graduate programs. After the department approves your application and gives you an admit,it's sent to the graduate school for further approval. This is the "recommended to GSAS" step.

This is common for all MFE and graduate programs. After the department approves your application and gives you an admit,it's sent to the graduate school for further approval. This is the "recommended to GSAS" step.
Thank you for your information. I saw my video was been watched on Feb 5th. But I didn't receive any emails from them. lol

Thank you for your information too.

Hello. We are still in the process of evaluating all of the applications. When we have decided to admit a student, we are notifying the student immediately.

Please note that if you receive a competing offer but would still prefer our program, please send an email to mathfinapp@cims.nyu.edu with the offer from the other program attached as a PDF or email.

I would add that we are also still willing to accept applications if you were not able to meet the deadline but still want to enroll in our program.

Hello. We are still in the process of evaluating all of the applications. When we have decided to admit a student, we are notifying the student immediately.

Please note that if you receive a competing offer but would still prefer our program, please send an email to mathfinapp@cims.nyu.edu with the offer from the other program attached as a PDF or email.

I would add that we are also still willing to accept applications if you were not able to meet the deadline but still want to enroll in our program.
Thank you for your reply. Does the admission is rolling? Which means if I see someone submitted later than me but received the offer, then I am rejected?

Admission is rolling, but it does *not* mean that you have been rejected. I wish we could do this faster and more decisively, but the process of assessing an application and making a definitive decision is surprisingly difficult. We don't always know how an early applicant will compare to later ones. We don't even know how many applications will be submitted.

I really wish I can apply, but I had already applied for the NYU data science program.

I noticed that the data science program is also highly related to the Courant Institute. If I am admitted and choose to enroll, can I take MathFinance courses?

Thanks for being very helpful. Best wishes.

I really wish I can apply, but I had already applied for the NYU data science program.

I noticed that the data science program is also highly related to the Courant Institute. If I am admitted and choose to enroll, can I take MathFinance courses?

Thanks for being very helpful. Best wishes.

You will have to get permission, but yes we normally do allow Data Science students who meet the prerequisite requirements to take Math Finance courses. In fact, you can take any NYU course, as long as you get permission from both your own department and the department that offers the course.

Admission is rolling, but it does *not* mean that you have been rejected. I wish we could do this faster and more decisively, but the process of assessing an application and making a definitive decision is surprisingly difficult. We don't always know how an early applicant will compare to later ones. We don't even know how many applications will be submitted.
Hi. I have another question. Would you prefer someone who majored in math? I saw the resume book in the past years and almost all of them are major in math. I majored in Engineering but have done almost two years of math research with professors. But I am so worried about that cause I do not come from math.

Without seeing your application, I can't comment on your case. We do accept students who were not math majors, as long as they demonstrate strong technical skills (a purposefully vague term).

Back