• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!
NYU Tandon School of Engineering - MS in Financial Engineering

NYU Tandon MFE NYU Tandon MFE admissions thread

Our understanding is that we professors have seen about 92% of submitted applications; the others have not been sent to us yet. They may with the document scanning group or their documents may have issues that the Graduate Admissions team here is working on.
We have made a decision (admit, waitlist, deny) to every application we have received. We know that we will need to admit some of the waitlisted applicants -- we are now waiting for the deadline to give a deposit to pass so that we know how many from the waitlist to admit.

Our understanding is that we professors have seen about 92% of submitted applications; the others have not been sent to us yet. They may with the document scanning group or their documents may have issues that the Graduate Admissions team here is working on.
We have made a decision (admit, waitlist, deny) to every application we have received. We know that we will need to admit some of the waitlisted applicants -- we are now waiting for the deadline to give a deposit to pass so that we know how many from the waitlist to admit.
Glad to know the process. What are the average percentiles of students being waitlisted getting admitted in the past few years? I have been waitlisted and am thinking about if it will be helpful to provide my GRE scores since I haven't before:/

Glad to know the process. What are the average percentiles of students being waitlisted getting admitted in the past few years? I have been waitlisted and am thinking about if it will be helpful to provide my GRE scores since I haven't before:/
Hi. The number of students admitted from the waitlist has varied wildly in the past 5 years -- COVID has made the relevance of historical data in this area pretty meaningless. As for adding more information: if you didn't think these scores would help you when you first applied, have the scores changed? Did you take the GRE a second time? If not then your initial instinct to not submit these was probably on point.

We are very aware of visa timelines -- most of our students need student visas! When the deadline for making a deposit for admitted students passes in early April we will know how many waitlisted students should be admitted and will act on that information.
Hi, could you please tell us the exact date of the deposit deadline? Because then I'd have an idea as to when I can expect an update on my waitlisted status. Thanks!

Hi @NYU Tandon MS FE Admissions Team do we know the number of applicants this year and last year?

Hi, could you please tell us the exact date of the deposit deadline? Because then I'd have an idea as to when I can expect an update on my waitlisted status. Thanks!
Hi kwatz,
For many admitted applicants the deposit deadline is 01 April. Many others have received extensions on this date from Tandon Graduate Admissions.

Is there a reason why the NYU Tandon MS FE program is not ranked on Risk.Net in 2023? This seems to be the only year where the program missed the ranking.
@quantchoices @Alex Ng -- tying this discussion thread together
The 2023 cohort has, I believe, 153 students.

We did not participate with Risk,Net last year because we had unanswered questions about their methodology.

And -- after all of the crazy news about schools doctoring their data to increase their rankings, NYU now has a centralized system for assuring that released data are accurate and that these are fairly examined by outside agencies. We am not permitted to release the number of offers made a year ago without going through this internal verification process, and right now we are really busy teaching, researching, and managing the 2024 waitlist for admissions. So this data item will need to wait, possibly for quite a while.

@quantchoices @Alex Ng -- tying this discussion thread together
The 2023 cohort has, I believe, 153 students.

We did not participate with Risk,Net last year because we had unanswered questions about their methodology.

And -- after all of the crazy news about schools doctoring their data to increase their rankings, NYU now has a centralized system for assuring that released data are accurate and that these are fairly examined by outside agencies. We am not permitted to release the number of offers made a year ago without going through this internal verification process, and right now we are really busy teaching, researching, and managing the 2024 waitlist for admissions. So this data item will need to wait, possibly for quite a while.
Are the questions answered? Will the program participate in the 2024 ranking?

Back