• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

NYU Tandon Vs. NYU Courant

I have not seen any threads that are strictly comparing these two programs, so I thought I'd ask. If you had to choose only one of the programs to apply for, which would you choose and why? NYU Tandon seems to be a contentious program on this forum (sitting at 3/5 stars with 28 reviews it is among the lowest user-rated programs), but it is not clear to me why.

NYU Courant without a doubt.

I attended NYU Tandon (albeit several years ago), and the overwhelming sense I got is that those in charge of the program care far more about the program itself than the students they are supposed to help. The attitude from those in charge of the program were often apathetic and on rarer occasions, outright hostile and rude. While attending the program (again, several years ago), the demand from FRE students to attend classes at NYU Stern and Courant is overwhelming; there was no ambiguity or misunderstanding that those two programs were far superior, and far more attractive for recruiters.

The pattern of several 4/5 star reviews of the program written on Quantnet within two weeks of each other is also extremely suspicious, to say the very least, and if anyone thinks differently I am of course always open to hear other perspectives.

I have not seen any threads that are strictly comparing these two programs, so I thought I'd ask. If you had to choose only one of the programs to apply for, which would you choose and why? NYU Tandon seems to be a contentious program on this forum (sitting at 3/5 stars with 28 reviews it is among the lowest user-rated programs), but it is not clear to me why.

Message me, I have useful information.

Can you please clarify what you are after? ApolloChariot seems to think you wish to compare the programs relative standing as of several years ago. As the former director of the Courant MF program and the current department chair of the Tandon program, I can speak to the programs current relative strengths, if that is your interest.

Can you please clarify what you are after? ApolloChariot seems to think you wish to compare the programs relative standing as of several years ago. As the former director of the Courant MF program and the current department chair of the Tandon program, I can speak to the programs current relative strengths, if that is your interest.
Hello Peter, could you please elaborate on how the NYU Tandon MFE program could help international students find jobs in the competitive US market?

Well we only assist international students who are either currently enrolled or are alums. In the former case, please walk into my office; the door is open. In the latter case, email me on pc73@nyu.edu

Mr. Peter Carr, let's talk about things that have happened since you became department chair then.

You wrote that you take "the negative reviews seriously" on 2017-05-26.

Specific post:

Shortly after, in a one week span from 2017-06-11 to 2017-06-18, there were EIGHT 4/5 star reviews, when the majority of the previous reviews were critical.

Have you ever solicited or encouraged others in the NYU Tandon FRE department to solicit positive reviews to post on QuantNet?

Furthermore, you take issue with me sharing my personal experience of NYU Tandon FRE several years ago, yet you assert you can "speak to the programs current relative strengths", based on you being the former director of Courant MF even though that was several.... years ago...... Why do you believe YOUR former experience is relevant for this topic but mine isn't?

Last edited:
No, I haven't solicited or encouraged others in the NYU Tandon FRE department to solicit positive reviews to post on QuantNet.
I'm really pleased that you will now finally talk about things that have happened since I became department chair.

No, I haven't solicited or encouraged others in the NYU Tandon FRE department to solicit positive reviews to post on QuantNet.
I'm really pleased that you will now finally talk about things that have happened since I became department chair.

Thank you for answering the question.

I posted about this issue multiple times, including at the NYU Tandon program discussion board, a discussion that you undoubtedly follow.

I'm really pleased that you answered a question from an alum straight-forwardly instead of accusing me of being a previously banned sock puppet troll or demanding that I reveal my identity.

Can you tell me which is best for a master's in CS and which one provides best Job opportunities? NYU Tandon or NYU Courant ??

Back