• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Online Engineering ..?? Really...??

menovive

Columbia MAFN
I just saw an Add from University of Washington about their engineering course online !!
My Engineering(4 Years of Awesomeness) was a deal breaker. It is a LIFE that I have gained; wasn't just a degree. What kinda BS is this online thing... So Saaaaad.. Thats all I can say !!

Why are you so much against online courses? QN is offering a C++ online course. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Cmon.. It is not like QN C++ online course or per say online Math tuition. It is a 4 year degree. !! Wud u prefer getting a 4 year degree from CalTech or even higher insti "online" or studying 4 year engineering at NIT Allahabad ??

Cmon.. It is not like QN C++ online course or per say online Math tuition. It is a 4 year degree. !! Wud u prefer getting a 4 year degree from CalTech or even higher insti "online" or studying 4 year engineering at NIT Allahabad ??
Oh. You're talking about an entire four year program.

... can I get my Ph. D. online?
Yes you can. Just google "online PhD degree".
We need to realize that education is a business so universities will try to improve their bottom lines in anyway they can. And offering degree online is the most logical next step.

There is no need to invest large capital in space, career services, teacher salary. And you can reach anyone with money to pay. You get to charge the same tuition but your profit margin is much higher. This is a good business model.

You already can get a whole MFE degree online from USC, Stevens. These are not your run of the mill, for-profit names like Phoenix University.
Just wait until you see more universities get into this. Wait a second, we are already there.

Now, ask yourself, do you pay for a college experience, education, a degree or what?

Care to point to Web page of announcement/add or something alike? University of Washington has rather respectable online applied math MS program (and also as mentioned here on the forum they're now into Computational Finance & Risk Management online MS program), so these guys have experience with this sort of stuff and shall they decide to offer 4-year engineering program online, I'd expect this one to be very good too.

As far as the tone of this thread concerned: maybe I'm biased as I worked off-site throughout all of my career, but I see no problem with online programs - if the program is good, and organized online in such a way that the interaction between teachers and students is well-maintained, it makes not that much difference. And - yes, why not have even Ph.D. programs from respectable institutions offered online, hopefully in the near future.

Why do you guys use the term "for-profit" as if everyone else does not fall under the same category?

Why do you guys use the term "for-profit" as if everyone else does not fall under the same category?
I believe "for-profit" is a term referring to schools like Phoenix University whose owner is a corporation that has stocks and shares holders to report to. So in that sense, while Harvard University may make plenty of money, it does not belong in the same category.

I believe "for-profit" is a term referring to schools like Phoenix University whose owner is a corporation that has stocks and shares holders to report to. So in that sense, while Harvard University may make plenty of money, it does not belong in the same category.
Oh, okay. Sounds like political jargon.

This is mostly semantics

Online Ph. D. in Culinary Arts, here I come! :D

the thing is. many of these online masters programs, once you get the degree, your degree doesn't mention that you got it online. It has certain advantages and disadvantages. Advantage being flexibility in terms of studying etc. You will also be doing a lot of self learning so this can help. Disadvantage would always be not being able to get in touch with your teachers as you need them and not interacting with class mates. But with the advent of online forums, this changes everything. We are entering into a virtual market so perhaps down the line, online degrees would make more sense as people don't want to travel 10000 miles to get a degree from a good school.

Well, I'm currently in college and I almost never attend to classes (boring).

All I do is read the books, do the exercices and if I have questions; I write an e-mail to the prof or go see him.

So, an online degree seems pretty normal to me. Actually, it will be cheaper with a higher quality (no distractions).

I almost never attended the second accounting class I had. But even in a brick and mortar college, it's sometimes hard to get in touch with certain professors in person.

What about the concept of respect for your professors? They don't give lectures because they like to hear themselves speak you know...

When the classes grow to the size of 80-100 students (I think that's how much accounting classes are at Baruch), it doesn't matter in my opinion.

Online or "on-site" is just a term, as long as the program is reputable and can make sure you don't cheat when you do online exams etc, than there is no difference.

In reality you can say that my M.Sc is somewhat "online" most of my studying was doing myself, I work on my thesis from home.
If the online material was good enough I don't know if I would have physically make it to class.

Same thing is valid for a Ph.D, if you don't need to physically be in a lab to get results than basically you're doing "online" Ph.D.

How about your Friends, network, politics, drama, chiks, cafe, sharing, discussions, debate, cordination, booze, weed, flirting, clubs, activities, perceptions, pride, pejudism, sharp, shrude, fights, cunning, good, bad and a Looooot !! I dont think undergrad institutes, when they intake youngsters/teenagers at their best age, the curriculum or syllabus is not the only purpose/reason. There is Lot more to Learn especially while u r an undergrad. To shape up for more wide and strange world..!!

You can see Nayagra falls in Youtube but thats no where near when you get into that Maid of the Mist !!

Back