• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Online Masters in Financial Engineering

I am just beginning to look into a masters in FE. I am working full time for a construction company as a civil engineer, andI will graduate this spring from Columbia University with masters in structural/geotech engineering. I am interested in obtaining a MFE. Does anyone have any feedback for online MFE programs. I see Steven's has a program. Whichever program I choose, it would have to be part time. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

I'm on my second class @ Stevens. Flexibility is great. I can attend online or onsite for the current class I am taking. This was one of the main reasons for choosing Stevens myself since juggling work/family/school can be challenging. Some of the core classes seem to offer such option where as smaller classes offer either online or onsite only.

Stevens was voted in top 20 Universities as Most Wired according to PC Magazine/Princeton Review. However, this dates back to 2006.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2073400,00.asp

Does anyone have any input about Columbia's MSOR (Methods of Finance) Program? Is this well respected in the industry?

Wait, you are about to graduate with a MS in structural engineering, and you want to do another masters already? To each his own I suppose. If you are not going to be in NYC after graduation, I would network as much as possible before you leave. If you are still in the city, why not do the MSOR part-time?

I've worked for a Construction company for three years and they paid for my MS at Columbia. After being in the industry for awhile, I am not sure it is for me. I am interested in getting into finance and somehow using my technical skills as an advantage. I have also learned a great deal of social and management skills in the construction industry. I am trying to figure out what type of program suites me best (and even what type of career in finance). Whatever program I do, I would like it to be done online. I have a family and a job that requires many hours. Cutting out travel time to class and flexibility is important to me.

So in short, I am looking for direction as to a career in finance (something technical) and where to get the masters. Let me know what you guys think.

By the way, this website has been a great help!

So you'll have two masters from Columbia if you do MSOR there? Is your company going to pay for your 2nd master degree?

So in short, I am looking for direction as to a career in finance (something technical) and where to get the masters.
If so, why not do a CS degree and get an IT job in the bank. If you already can code, just go out and and find job. I have a former coworker who worked in pharmaceutical industry who used his Excel/VBA ninja skills to get on a trading desk.
I don't think an online degree is worthy, let alone this niche field of Financial Engineering. Your money should be better spent elsewhere.

Back