• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Online part time MFE programs

Hi, I’m looking at part time online MFE (or similar) programs. I’m 37 with a full time job and already in the industry, so looking for this more as legitimizing me in the industry and also help me do my current job more effectively (I run a small portfolio) as opposed to landing a job at a top firm (I’m happy where I am). Ideas of good fits? So far the only one I can find is at the university of Washington. Thank you!

Yes, that’s the best part. What I have read is that the courses do not run deep, and program seems more like data science than financial engineering. Again this feedback could be from people not serious with it.
I’d recommend you reach out to people on LinkedIn who have completed this program to know more.

I'm wondering do full-time and part-time programs differ in acceptance rate, coz it looks to me that for the full-time program there are more candidates (largely the intl students, who have to take full time program to maintain F1 student visa) competing for the limited spots but i'm not certain for part-time enrolls smaller group of students?

I have heard mixed reviews (did not personally try it), but maybe worth taking a look - WorldQuant University | Tuition-Free Financial Engineering MSc
Free with decent course structure, but not focused on Portfolio Management. Suffers a but from "buffet" mentality, like many MSc's with courses that are not focused on Quant. WorldQuant spent 5 years or so refining the degree and it was once called MSc is Quant Finance, add had courses in alpha-generation. Those are gone now. Rigor and applicant screening has stepped up to. Previously unaccredited, but now I believe has full US accreditation such that courses could be transferred out/receive credit in other colleges. That said I don't think their MSc has curriculum they'd want from the quants WorldQuant itself hires.

So there are only a few online programs with some notoriety. University of Cal Berkeley's MFE is ranked inside the top 5 in the nation (depending on which poll you look at) and is the only program inside the top 10 to offer their degree online.

University of Washington and Johns Hopkins both also have fully online MFEs, but neither have great name recognition within Financial Engineering.

The Cal Berkeley application standards are the same for the part-time online as for the full-time, so the criteria is pretty thorough (2 letters of rec, GRE if you don't have a PhD or didn't finish your undergrad with 3.75/4.0 or greater, two written essays, video essay and finally an interview by a former alumn if you make it past the initial screening). Just like most MFEs these days, they also want you to have a solid quantitative background in your undergrad (or show the capability to learn it) as well as machine learning, stats and programing (either C++ or Python or both).

U Wash and Johns Hopkins are very straightforward and accept almost anyone that applies and has some STEM background or even finance, econ, etc.

Hope that helps.

So there are only a few online programs with some notoriety. University of Cal Berkeley's MFE is ranked inside the top 5 in the nation (depending on which poll you look at) and is the only program inside the top 10 to offer their degree online.

University of Washington and Johns Hopkins both also have fully online MFEs, but neither have great name recognition within Financial Engineering.

The Cal Berkeley application standards are the same for the part-time online as for the full-time, so the criteria is pretty thorough (2 letters of rec, GRE if you don't have a PhD or didn't finish your undergrad with 3.75/4.0 or greater, two written essays, video essay and finally an interview by a former alumn if you make it past the initial screening). Just like most MFEs these days, they also want you to have a solid quantitative background in your undergrad (or show the capability to learn it) as well as machine learning, stats and programing (either C++ or Python or both).

U Wash and Johns Hopkins are very straightforward and accept almost anyone that applies and has some STEM background or even finance, econ, etc.

Hope that helps.
Ur info are so helpful right now i'm exactly searching for the relevant online program! Does someone has the stat showing how many students enrolled for the online program?? Since the online mode utilizes the educational resources so efficiently, can we assume comparing with the on-site mode, the remote option enables to take more students each year??

Hi, I’m looking at part time online MFE (or similar) programs. I’m 37 with a full time job and already in the industry, so looking for this more as legitimizing me in the industry and also help me do my current job more effectively (I run a small portfolio) as opposed to landing a job at a top firm (I’m happy where I am). Ideas of good fits? So far the only one I can find is at the university of Washington. Thank you!
I think temple university has part time admission.

Back