• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Only the Men Survive - The Crash of Morgan Stanley Executive Zoe Cruz - Great Reading!

Very interesting article from a woman's perspective who also works in finance.
Zoe's story reminds me of Carly Fiorina, former CEO of HP who was forced out as well.
It's a dog eat dog world out there.

I don't think , her being a woman was the sole reason she lost her job, even though it played a role( albeit a crucial one). Great post guys, it just remind me that qualities such as assertiveness, ability to command respect and trust are as important as technical skills, specially for women, minorities. Just the nature of the business, a snippet at the reality of wall street!!

Very interesting article from a woman's perspective who also works in finance.
Zoe's story reminds me of Carly Fiorina, former CEO of HP who was forced out as well.
It's a dog eat dog world out there.

hold on a second!! Carly Fiorina was really BAD as head of HP.

I had to share this article with the quantnet community its a great article about the fall of a senior MS manager Zoe Cruz!

The Crash of Morgan Stanley Executive Zoe Cruz -- New York Magazine

If the roles were reversed she'd have done the same to him without hesitation. Heck, put me in that position and I wouldn't hesitate. Nothing personal, purely business. The ones who reach that level tend to be sociopaths -- intelligent, articulate, personable, charismatic, but utterly devoid of real human feelings.

And let me second Alain: Fiorina was garbage.

Tend to be sociopaths. And they tend to be good at disguising it. And nothing wrong with being a sociopath. I'm probably one myself, in terms of lack of empathy. Sociopaths rule the world.

Add to "My To Do List": Become a sociopath.

At some point this topic might be discussed. For example, those who are good at math tend to suffer disproportionately from Asperger's syndrome (reportedly 25% of Cambridge math undergrads). I suspect that if there's some way of measuring sociopathic inclinations, math and programming people will also be disproportionately represented.

On sociopathy there's an interesting essay at Alternet today:
http://www.alternet.org/news/145917/is_your_favorite_politician_a_sociopath

Though the writer assumes a silly moralising tone and doesn't really understand what sociopaths are like at root (might as well criticise a tiger for being a carnivore). Here is his account of the qualities of a sociopath:

• Conventional appearance
  • Glib, superficially charming, often highly verbal
  • Promiscuous sexual behavior
  • Manipulative and cunning
  • High sense of entitlement
  • Lacks a sense of moral responsibility or moral conscience
  • Shallow emotions
  • Callousness, lack of empathy
  • Lying without remorse, shame or guilt
  • Interested only in their personal needs or desires, without concern for other people
Except for the sexual proclivity, which is irrelevant, these are all useful qualities in the dog-eat-dog world we live in.

And nothing wrong with being a sociopath.

This statement is either nonsensical or tautological, depending on how you interpret it. Nothing wrong--in whose eyes? In the eyes of a sociopath? Of course not--he operates purely pragmatically, never in terms of intrinsic right and wrong. In the eyes of someone with a "traditional" morality? I think you've already answered that one:

the writer assumes a silly moralising tone and doesn't really understand what sociopaths are like at root (might as well criticise a tiger for being a carnivore).

The question gets interesting when you consider whether the tiger can choose not to be a carnivore--or if an herbivore can choose to start eating meat. Either way, the issue is more about behaviorism than morality.

Back