• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Optimization's place in quant fin.

What place does optimization have in quantitative finance, practically.

I'd assume portfolio optimization, for some parameters, but what techniques are important? I'm not at a place where I'm going to be learning this much, I'm just interested.

Optimal control? Transport? These terms don't mean much to me, but I'd like to procrastinate by learning some surface level things.

Can anyone give me a fun lay-of-the-land?

Optimisation is soo important

“Nothing takes place in the world whose meaning is not that of some maximum or minimum.”
― Leonhard Euler
I still have no internship this summer, and your ANM course is still top of the list on things to tackle. I'll keep you updated, obviously, but good chance I take it on.

Also on base:
Refresh the stuff in Axlers Linear Algebra done right
Refresh Classical Statistical Inference
Learn Python so I don't get given another technical interview I can't pass...

Odds are only 2, maybe part of 3, of these get done before the start of the fall term. If I want to do them right.

Back