• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Oxford mathematical And computational finance, asking for advice

Greetings everyone,

I have just got the offer from this program. I am a little bit sad now because my dream school for FE are in US, like columbia or cornell. But as a international student in UK, my undergraduate school was not that good, university of Liverpool, actually. Although I got this offer from oxford, My application for those US programs were not successful. And this breaks my dream of postgraduate in FE in US.

So anyone could tell me something about this program, like placement?

And if I could graduate from this program, is there any possibility for me to get an internship or full time job in US afterwards?

Thanks for your message guys.

It's freaking Oxford, I think it will have a good brand recognition in the US. Even if you cant find a job straight out of school in the US, you just have to get some work experience in the UK, and your transition to the US should be possible (easier for highly qualified workers).

It's freaking Oxford, I think it will have a good brand recognition in the US. Even if you cant find a job straight out of school in the US, you just have to get some work experience in the UK, and your transition to the US should be possible (easier for highly qualified workers).
thanks for your opinion. Here, I think the key point is getting some work experience in the UK, but uk financial market is more conservative than US, and most people from French or other EU nations could get a job easily, but I am a chinese. And no placement stat about this program could be found on Oxford website. That's what I am worried about.

thanks for your opinion. Here, I think the key point is getting some work experience in the UK, but uk financial market is more conservative than US, and most people from French or other EU nations could get a job easily, but I am a chinese. And no placement stat about this program could be found on Oxford website. That's what I am worried about.

Why not work in Asia? Given the environment it seems like a lot of people go work in HK/Singapore and some of the Chinese kids in Shanghai/Beijing. I'd move to HK for a few years given the opportunity.

And legitimately so as the government has changed the post-study work permit system and hiring in the City is not what it used to be. In addition, the Oxford program is not what it might be cracked up to be: heavy on theory, light on computation (but then, so are most of the other British programs). Difficult to know what to advise ....

Why not work in Asia? Given the environment it seems like a lot of people go work in HK/Singapore and some of the Chinese kids in Shanghai/Beijing. I'd move to HK for a few years given the opportunity.
Thank you for your message. Yea, I used to think about that. But anyway, this is a once-choice decision. Given the environment and atmosphere in American Financial market, maybe I could learn more skills in an open area. Also, currently Chinese (Hongkong) employers always emphasize on aboard experience. I would have some advantage if I could work two or three years in US by that time. Think about that, if I would just work in China, really no need to spend tons of money to pursue undergraduate in UK, I could just read some top universities in China, more economical. Lastly, I am still very young, so I'd like to see around, no willing to go back to China at such a young age. To be frank, my ideal career path is that firstly, work aboard and gain some experience and technical skills, then after that go back to China (or HK), to establish my own business. So, maybe you can see that there's no plan to go back Asia such soon.

And legitimately so as the government has changed the post-study work permit system and hiring in the City is not what it used to be. In addition, the Oxford program is not what it might be cracked up to be: heavy on theory, light on computation (but then, so are most of the other British programs). Difficult to know what to advise ....
Hey wolf, seems that you know something about this program. You know anything about its employment? Because Oxford has no career service in this program, really anxious.

Hey wolf, seems that you know something about this program. You know anything about its employment? Because Oxford has no career service in this program, really anxious.

Nope, sorry, no idea about the placement rate.

Nope, sorry, no idea about the placement rate.
So actually I have some options in US, like Johns Hopkins and Michigan Ann Arbor. And still waiting for Columbia MAFN and Chicago MSFM, do you think that those in US are better and worthwhile?

Hey amraj, you decide to get in?
Pretty much. Its a decision between Oxford or Imperial. It'll probably be Oxford for the brand name, and also because I am doing my U.G degree at Imperial at the moment, so it'll be a different university on my C.V. I also think that the computing at Oxford will be useful, since Imperial's course is very theoretical.

Pretty much. Its a decision between Oxford or Imperial. It'll probably be Oxford for the brand name, and also because I am doing my U.G degree at Imperial at the moment, so it'll be a different university on my C.V. I also think that the computing at Oxford will be useful, since Imperial's course is very theoretical.
But I think IC could give you more opportunity for internship, isn't it?

Greetings everyone,

I have just got the offer from this program. I am a little bit sad now because my dream school for FE are in US, like columbia or cornell. But as a international student in UK, my undergraduate school was not that good, university of Liverpool, actually. Although I got this offer from oxford, My application for those US programs were not successful. And this breaks my dream of postgraduate in FE in US.

So anyone could tell me something about this program, like placement?

And if I could graduate from this program, is there any possibility for me to get an internship or full time job in US afterwards?

Thanks for your message guys.
Hi, I am aslo an international student in Lancaster University. Can I know your background (Major, GPA, Interns) when applying for this programme? Unfortunately, I cannot find any placement data (placement rate & salary) on the website. So your info may help me to decide the oxford financial economics or this programme. By the way, my major is Business Analytic and Consultancy (like operations research), do you think my background can fit this programme? At last, did you apply for Baruch college MFE programme? Thank you.

Hi, I am aslo an international student in Lancaster University. Can I know your background (Major, GPA, Interns) when applying for this programme? Unfortunately, I cannot find any placement data (placement rate & salary) on the website. So your info may help me to decide the oxford financial economics or this programme. By the way, my major is Business Analytic and Consultancy (like operations research), do you think my background can fit this programme? At last, did you apply for Baruch college MFE programme? Thank you.
ok,my major is mathematics,gpa 3.88(by Wes), In UK, I got 77 and 95 in first and second year. One internship in a small securities firm, I apply this program before the second round deadline. But I cannot tell whether you fit it or not, because I do not know your course structure. If you have taken enough math course and one or two programming, like C++, then it should be ok. I didn't apply for Baruch, but it's really a pity for me. Because Baruch is really strong in this area with perfect placement.

ok,my major is mathematics,gpa 3.88(by Wes), In UK, I got 77 and 95 in first and second year. One internship in a small securities firm, I apply this program before the second round deadline. But I cannot tell whether you fit it or not, because I do not know your course structure. If you have taken enough math course and one or two programming, like C++, then it should be ok. I didn't apply for Baruch, but it's really a pity for me. Because Baruch is really strong in this area with perfect placement.
Hey, greeting from 2019. Did you finally get into Oxford? Recently, I have also been admitted to this program and i would really appreciate it if you could give me some advice. I am oscillating between Ox MCF and NYU Tandon MFE.
Thanks in advance ~

Since I am an international student and the location of my graduate education will decide where I will spend my next several years. I am worried about the situation in Britain. Oxford has good reputation globally and the only thing that i am not happy with is the location. Any advice?
fair enough. what's your alternative option if not oxford?

Back