• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Oxford MFE results

bansalmohit I don’t do MFE endorsements, but it is on the record that I regularly attend lectures at Cass and Barny and I do not disagree that the PartIII / MASt at Cambridge represents remarkably good value.

I’ve taken a little time to look deeper at the wretchedly bogus FT rankings.
First thing I saw was that there are points for having female lecturers, this is bullshit on an evangelical scale. The top commodities lecturer on the planet, Helyette Geman is female and Nicole el Karoui ditto, but why should you care ? is there some gynaecological basis for geometric Brownian motion ?
Here’s a clue; if you care about the sex of your teachers, don’t go into finance; if you need to be taught by someone of the same sex, go work in local government. Worse is the factor for % of students that are female. If this matters to you it is either a) because you’re a weak woman who needs comfort from there being others in the class, or b) a dumb sex starved male who genuinely believes that finance courses are good places to pick up women. Sexual frustration is not a clear factor in career success, but being stupid doesn’t help your chances.
Apparently Skema is number 9, in the world, I wouldn’t even put it #9 in France, it has achieved what I shall arrogantly call “Connor Nullity”, a state of grace where no hiring manager has ever mentioned it to me as good, nor one from which I have ever met an alumni who seriously impressed me.

It's interesting that "quality of teaching" doesn't seem to be a factor, which tall by itself tells me all I need to know.

The citied rankings are pathetically euro-centric, presumably because US institutions don’t advertise in the London based FT. I hope that commercial bias is the reason for this nonsense because I’d hate to think that that anyone genuinely believed them.

sir can you answer my main question?? should i leave CA and do MFE assuming that i am not interested in marketing??
MFE is a very specialized course. MBA is generalized. See what you wanna do...read the blogs and FAQ's on all university's websites and that will give you a fair idea of what you want. But I would say grass always looks greener on the other side. CA is an equally good option. Weigh all of them.

I fear Darth that your advice is on the dark side.

The information on university web sites for business oriented masters programs are about as honest as those for anti-ageing creams.
Consider the following statements:
87 % of Fordham alumni say that it helped them get their jobs.
87% of women said the cream reduced the appearance of wrinkles.

Do you believe either ? If both then I have a variety of business deals I could interest you in...

My advice is to find some people who already do what you want to do and ask them what they need to
a) get their jobs
b) do them well
c) where they think you can get that

Note that a) and b) can be quite different, for instance branding on your university will help you get a job but that is different from the branding helping you do it.

I would believe on both the claims... iff
a) The claim of jobs was written on a website of school like princeton
b) Anti-ageing claim came from Kera Skin Esthetics. :)

I am sorely tempted to use my database to survey hiring managers, see what they think.

That of course only gives us one part of the picture, part of the joy in my life is occasionally they ask for people who've done an MFE at Cambridge.
...there isn't one, which kind of shows the power of brands and other things.

Can someone please comment on what effect will doing a Masters in Finance( for ex. Ox MFE) have on the later prospects of doing an MBA? The question is asked with the following context:
1. The need for an MBA to progress in the long run in one's career even after landing a good job after the M.Fin programs.
2. Do the top MBA schools like H/S/W view you as not someone needing the MBA degree as already having done partially overlapping masters program.
3. The different nature of the finance experience that B schools seek in the candidates and the nature of finance jobs that one gets after M.Fin programs. Please elaborate on the last point.

Back