• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Peter Carr

I was just reading his bio, specifically his education background:

PhD. Finance, University of California, Los Angeles, Sep 1989
M.B.A. Accounting/Finance, University of Toronto, Jun 1983
BCom., Accounting/Economics, University of Toronto, Jun 1981

It doesn't seem like a traditional quant background. How quantitative is a PhD in Finance? And does it cover derivative pricing as indepth as a MFE program for example?

PhD is a research oriented process, so it can be as quantitative as candidate/adviser wants.

When I took Peter's class, it was very quantitative :)

It's true that Peter Carr's education on paper is not typical of a quant, but he is one of the most technically masterful people I've ever met (aside from being a really, really, really nice guy and an outstanding professor.)

If I didn't read his bio, I would've mistaken him for a theoretical physicist.

As Max pointed out, your research can be just about anything you (or your adviser) are interested in. In most PhD programs, the first 2 years is pretty much set in stone and the stuff you'd cover in a master's program.

Well, as an economics/finance student minoring in mathematics, I guess that's pretty encouraging. If I can achieve even 1/50 of what Peter Carr has, I'd be content.

I've a great admiration for Peter, not only does he do good stuff, but he is enromously generous in his time. We were at the Global Derivatives conference two weeks ago, and over several days I never saw him except he was helping someone to understand something.

Back