PhD in Finance vs PhD in Mathematical Finance

Hi guys,
I am torn between these two paths.
My background is in physics, I am graduating next may, I'm applying for a Msc in Financial economics or Mathematical Finance next year.

I was working a retail banking job a year ago when I decided to quit, go back to school, finish my degree because I want to become a uni professor.

I have read quite a bit about what a professor's work and life duties entail, and this is something I committed to achieving.
After doing some research I figured that many of my research interests available in a finance department at a business school are the same as in a Mathematics department (see asset pricing, derivatives, market microstructure).

I know that there is a higher scarcity of academic jobs for Math PhDs than Finance PhDs,
and also that the remuneration for Assistant Finance professors is much higher (at least in the US).

Based on that small analysis, would it make sense for someone like to pursue a Finance PhD instead of one in Mathematical Finance? On top of my head I would say yes but I would like to know if there is something else that I should consider. Is there a drastic intellectual difference between doing finance in a business school versus a math department?

Back