• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Phone interview advice?

Hi, I'm a Columbia student and I'm interviewing these days for some quant roles - I've realized that I basically suck at phone interviews. My in-person interviews and tests usually go fine, but talking on phone, "thinking aloud", writing and actually solving the problem, all at the same time gets very chaotic, and I end up going blank, or taking a really long time to solve relatively easy problems. (I have a CS undergrad and messed up a pretty rudimentary algorithm question last week). Does anyone have any tricks/advice on how to maintain some clarity of thought while dealing with phone interviews?

Write down some notes to look at while you're talking. I would write down the questions I was commonly asked and a few bullet points under each about things I wanted to say if asked that question. Thinking out loud is fine. Try to talk slow because in reality you are probably talking rapidly. Thinking about talking slow will smooth out your thought process and slow down your speech so the interviewers can better follow you.

You're right..unfortunately, I do not have convenient land line access. Bless those firms which take aptitude/programming/math tests and call you for an onsite!

I strongly agree with Domini. Even if it is not convenient find a land line. I NEVER use a cell for phone interviews. Also, the rule of thumb for phone interviews is to never rush and speak what is on your mind. Think before you say anything and then when you have decided what to say play it over in your mind once. Think of everything you say as an email sent that you cannot retract.

Thanks again for the suggestions guys - I had a couple of more phone interviews since then, and they went pretty good. Keeping a 'cheat sheet' and resume close helps a lot - even though I never actually had to see anything from either, it helped me remain calm and organized knowing that I'm well prepared!

I seem to mess up phone interviews as well. I would say that the best way is to be kind of meek to avoid sounding like a bumbling idiot or a pompous know-it-all ass. It's all too easy to mistake enthusiasm as ditzy or pompous or 'says-10-things-but-only-2-of-those-were-necessary-and-important', so I just usually say only what is important and always with a serious voice that doesn't sound too smooth-talking-MBA-ish. I also try to be humble and play the role of the meek student so that it is clear that I do not think I am king of the world, and the meek part helps show that I wouldn't put up a fight in following directions, I would just follow them and want to learn the correct way of doing things (the correct way being the boss's way, of course). I find that people generally like this attitude because it is not threatening and it is also flattering to have a smart, quiet person who is obedient to you.

As for the technical parts...well, you have to know your stuff. But it's important that you answer with this kind of attitude as above, not the "yeah of course I know that, the answer is St exp miu minus half sigma squared ... "

This is just my opinion. Maybe there is a better way but this is the best one I thought of.

Back