• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Please give me advise about quant path

Hello. I'm a student in Seoul National University and major in Industrial Engineering. I have interests about financial mathematics, financial engineering. I am also interested in Corporate Finance, Private Equity. So, I want to be a quant in PE. Surely, quant trader and quant developer are good for me.

After attending sophomore year in University, I am serving in the military. so I still need to learn more my major. Belows are my skills

-------
Mathematics
-calculus
-linear algebra
-basic probability theory (distributions, law of total expectation...)
-basic Operation research ( linear programming, simplex, kkt condition, max-flow min-cut theorem...)
-basic statistics

Computers
-Python. ( Can make machine/deep learning model (not difficult) )

Language Skills
-Korean (of course)
-English(can read a paper, but write, speaking is not good. )
------

Here is my Questions. There are too many questions but I want to get the advise at least one

1. Consideration my skills and academic level, What academic part should I prepare? I'm in the military, so I have environmental restrictions.
I would appreciate it if you consider it and advise me.

2. Now, I want to become fluent in English. So, I read English book(novel). I think it was helpful for me to encounter English in variant situation. So Could you recommend English source about finance, quant, pe and so on. It must not be difficult...

3. I want to be a quant in P.E. Private Equity's area is so cool. but i'm worried about quant position in PE. It has important role? It can be recognized prominent position compared to traditional PE member.

Thank you read my questions. my English writing skill is not good, so it will be hard to read. Thank you very much.

Hello,
I am a university student myself but feel that I can lend some useful advice given your current situation. To answer your questions:

1. Continue to build networking capabilities and doing research. Let me explain:
a. Networking can be a critical component to becoming a quantitative analyst at any financial firm (Private Equity, Investment Banks, Hedge Funds) and while this role may not be known to many people in other industries, it is extremely competitive who are aware of this career's existence. The best way to network is to find people who are interested in this field (i.e- this forum) or through similar websites. For your situation, I would recommend starting your own research project that can be placed on a resume once you finish your military service. For example, while in your military service, may be you can begin reading about implementing algorithmic trading strategies based off a survey you created when interviewing cadets about what stocks or commodities they would buy. Employers will likely look at this as a positive sign that you are trying to use your resources that you are given and that you are interested in your field.

2. This one is a little tricky as Korean, among other east Asian dialects, are extremely different linguistically from their English-speaking counterparts. Immersing yourself in English-speaking medium and free-online language tools might your best option before trying to learn financial terms.

3. I would say try it out. The most interesting thing about being a quant for is how many topics you must apply in order to learn your craft. Given that a lot of PhD quantitative analysts fail to predict stock market fluctuations everyday, I am positive that with the appropriate mindset to learn various fields (econometrics, stock market volatility, etc.) you will be on your way to becoming a successful quantitative analyst.

Tip: Since there are only three major markets for quants (New York, Chicago, and Hong Kong), you might want to look into firms that are closer to you as it might not be as much of a culture shock before ultimately deciding to move elsewhere for better career prospects.

Best,

Algo Quant

Back