• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Poly MS Math vs. Baruch MFE

UG:
U Wisconsin-Madison
BS Econ
-Calc III, Linear Algebra, ODE, Data Structures (in Java), Computer Architecture, and Econometrics
-GPA 2.3

Grad:
Poly
MS Math
-Real Analysis
-Numerical Analysis
-Quant Methods in Finance
-Prob
-GPA 4.0

This semester: PDE/Numerical Linear Algebra/Real Analysis II

GRE: 800Q/650V/5.5, prepping for GRE Math.

Good C++/Matlab skills.

Can get good recos from profs.

No relevant exp. Some exp in sales and trading, series 7 & 66. Awaiting results from CFA Level I.

I like the math dept at Poly, plus MS Math would give me better preparation for a phd than MSFE. However, Baruch is much cheaper, transferring credits would allow me to finish in a year, and the idea I get from postings on Globalderivatives is that Baruch is very good.

How are my chances? Is it worth the switch?

Thanks in advance.

UG:
I like the math dept at Poly, plus MS Math would give me better preparation for a phd than MSFE. However, Baruch is much cheaper, transferring credits would allow me to finish in a year, and the idea I get from postings on Globalderivatives is that Baruch is very good.

How are my chances? Is it worth the switch?

Thanks in advance.
I did post a reply to your question last night before it getting swipped out. ;)
My original response was that since your ultimate goal is a PhD in applied math/finance, I believe the program at NYU would be a better fit. Baruch MFE program is more pratical than theoritical.

My feeling is that you should finish your MS in Math at Poly and apply directly to PhD program at NYU. They have a great dept at Courant.

Poly MS Math vs Baruch MFE ? They are two totally different programs in different disciplines

MSFE programs are not designed to prepare someone for a phd path. Go to phd directly, don't waste your time and money.

However, if you want to work in the industry, our program will benefit you greatly, especially considering the fact that you have some experience (series 7 exam - were you a stock broker?). In addition, CFA exams are also respected in the industry.

Good luck with your decision!

Yup, I sold annuities and mutual funds for about a year, did pretty well but decided it wasn't for me.

I will stick with Poly for now, abstract algebra sounds as interesting to me as options theory. I can always get a MSFE later or skip it altogether.

Thanks for the advice

Best,

I will stick with Poly for now, abstract algebra sounds as interesting to me as options theory. I can always get a MSFE later or skip it altogether.
Yes, do what interests you most. Groups, rings, fields, Galois theory, modules, PID are all very interesting topics in abstract algebra. I liked addictive number theory very much (I actually got a chance to work with my advisor on an interesting number theory problem) but I found the pratical side of computational problems more interesting than its theoritical applications. That's the reason I gladly moved from a math program to MFE.
Goodluck with your study.

Back