• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Baruch MFE Polytech's MS Financial Engineering

I've sent a private message to Prof Stefanica. I've ordered "Thinking in C++" to self study. Right now, I feel I have three options to further my studies:

1. MBA, this requires 4-5 years of work experience. I've been looking and applying for entry level positions since graduation in May 2009 and I ended up as an intern. I'd love to have a career in corporate finance but the day I get an entry level position anywhere in finance and build 4-5 years of experience...I'll be too old with too many responsibilities to even go for an MBA.

2. CFA, this route doesn't require work experience and it's the most difficult of the three options. I think I have a bit of an advantage with my courses in finance at Baruch. However, the career opportunities afterward doesn't seem like something I'd want to do.

3. MS Financial Engineering, I was always good in math (92+ grades in every level since 1st grade) and my biggest regret is not continuing my education in it as a minor. I loved econometrics class as well and I was good at that too. The career opportunities after an MSFE are definitely something I'd enjoy. Using math and computer programming to build financial models or valuing derivatives sound great. Another plus side is that I would probably learn the most from this option as I've had an education in finance and this is a move towards programming and math.

I've sent a private message to Prof Stefanica. I've ordered "Thinking in C++" to self study. Right now, I feel I have three options to further my studies:

1. MBA, this requires 4-5 years of work experience. I've been looking and applying for entry level positions since graduation in May 2009 and I ended up as an intern. I'd love to have a career in corporate finance but the day I get an entry level position anywhere in finance and build 4-5 years of experience...I'll be too old with too many responsibilities to even go for an MBA.

2. CFA, this route doesn't require work experience and it's the most difficult of the three options. I think I have a bit of an advantage with my courses in finance at Baruch. However, the career opportunities afterward doesn't seem like something I'd want to do.

3. MS Financial Engineering, I was always good in math (92+ grades in every level since 1st grade) and my biggest regret is not continuing my education in it as a minor. I loved econometrics class as well and I was good at that too. The career opportunities after an MSFE are definitely something I'd enjoy. Using math and computer programming to build financial models or valuing derivatives sound great. Another plus side is that I would probably learn the most from this option as I've had an education in finance and this is a move towards programming and math.
seems like you're a technical dude that ended up with a non technical degree (reminding myself :\ ).
I'm exactly like you, I love math, programming and finance. So, my only choice is the MFE degree (hopefully will get accepted to a good program and will land a job as a quantitative analyst afterwords).
I'm reading "Absolute C++", great for beginners.
don't know the book you are getting, but it has great reatings.
search through the forum/articles, you'll find some great opinions, information about the field and the degree.
Plus, many of the questions you want to ask have probably been asked in the past.

Can't comment on the first 2 options because I haven't done any research on them.
Also, some MFE programs require that some students take the CFA lvl 1 before entering the program.
I don't know if we should worry about this because we have a finance degree plus some financial experience... Again, you should ask prof. Stefanica about this....

Back