• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Baruch MFE Polytech's MS Financial Engineering

Hey all, I'm new to this forum and I would love to here your answers and guidance.

I'm a Baruch College grad with a BBA in finance. I've completed Calculus I, Statistics, Econometrics, and introduction to CIS as part of my curriculum. I'm 24 years old and still don't have a job do to the bad economy, so I'd like to take this time to do something academic and research master programs in the future.

I've come across NYU-Poly's MS in financial engineering and it looks awesome. Something I'd want to do. I've always been good at math but wanted a career in finance and this program seems perfect. Particularly, the financial markets or corporate finance track.

I know I'm missing several math courses which is fine and I will take the classes for a year or so at Baruch. However, my question regards the systems aspect of the program. I don't have any knowledge of systems (no C++, matlab, vba, or sas). Will that stop my hopes of the MS? If not, what route would you recommend?

Hey all, I'm new to this forum and I would love to here your answers and guidance.

I'm a Baruch College grad with a BBA in finance. I've completed Calculus I, Statistics, Econometrics, and introduction to CIS as part of my curriculum. I'm 24 years old and still don't have a job do to the bad economy, so I'd like to take this time to do something academic and research master programs in the future.

I've come across NYU-Poly's MS in financial engineering and it looks awesome. Something I'd want to do. I've always been good at math but wanted a career in finance and this program seems perfect. Particularly, the financial markets or corporate finance track.

I know I'm missing several math courses which is fine and I will take the classes for a year or so at Baruch. However, my question regards the systems aspect of the program. I don't have any knowledge of systems (no C++, matlab, vba, or sas). Will that stop my hopes of the MS? If not, what route would you recommend?
why poly-tech and not Baruch ?
I know somebody who is in Poly-Tech and he says the program sucks.

when did you graduate from Baruch if it's not a secret ?

I graduated from Baruch in May 2009, I'm now 24 years old and still interning :(

I didn't look into Baruch because it's a CUNY school and Polytech is associated with NYU so it's probably ranked higher?

I didn't look into Baruch because it's a CUNY school and Polytech is associated with NYU so it's probably ranked higher?

don't be lazy and do some research. You might be surprised.

I graduated from Baruch in May 2009, I'm now 24 years old and still interning :(

Sadly, this is a testimony to the fact that we are better known around the world than in our own school. We will work on that ;)

CUNY undergrad programs suck big time (the worst choice I have ever made in my life was going to Baruch undergrad).
looks like CUNY is mostly known for its grad programs. There are some good ones and Baruch MFE is one of them. Baruch MFE has great placements (what you need the most).
Plus, it's cheaper than most MFE programs and it's in the city (a huge plus).

Roni - without trying to sound ``patriotic", I can tell you that some of our best MFE students were Baruch undergraduates. Also, the admission standard is identical for a Baruch undergraduate as is for any other applicant, so whoever we admitted from Baruch was really strong, even compared with the top applicants from around the world.

After teaching undergraduate students at Baruch for over ten years, I can say that, based on the sample of undergraduate students that I taught, the level of the students has risen tremendously over time.

The fact that I do not think the two of us ever met, as is the case with almost every other Baruch undergraduate student who posted on QuantNet, clearly exemplifies the fact that we are not doing a good job of promoting our program to Baruch undergraduate students.

However, plans are in the works to change that, and bring the expertise gained as a faculty team from creating such an elite MFE program to undergraduate education.

Roni - without trying to sound ``patriotic", I can tell you that some of our best MFE students were Baruch undergraduates. Also, the admission standard is identical for a Baruch undergraduate as is for any other applicant, so whoever we admitted from Baruch was really strong, even compared with the top applicants from around the world.

After teaching undergraduate students at Baruch for over ten years, I can say that, based on the sample of undergraduate students that I taught, the level of the students has risen tremendously over time.

The fact that I do not think the two of us ever met, as is the case with almost every other Baruch undergraduate student who posted on QuantNet, clearly exemplifies the fact that we are not doing a good job of promoting our program to Baruch undergraduate students.

However, plans are in the works to change that, and bring the expertise gained as a faculty team from creating such an elite MFE program to undergraduate education.
Hello prof. Stefanica,
I didn't want it to sound like Baruch undergrad doesn't have good students. We have a big number of amazing students, very brilliant people.
And I think you are right about the promotion issue of the MFE program. I came across quantnet and Baruch MFE only in spring 2009 (my junior year). Everything would be different had I known the program in my freshman/sophomore year :\.
I think the math professors are starting talking about the program more and more. For example, prof. Shaw has mentioned the program quite a few times.
Many don't even know what financial engineering is. I think MTH 4500 helps them understand it better, though, some of them have never heard of Baruch MFE.

As I said, it is a problem we recognize, and we will work on finding a solution to it.

What about the work experience requirements (for Baruch or Poly)? Is there a requirement?

No such requirement per se for the Baruch MFE Program, although some of our students have prior work experience, even if not necessary relevant.

Awesome, right now I plan on taking calculus 2, intermediate calculus, and linear algebra at Baruch undergrad levels as a non-degree student.

I was wondering if I should take CIS 3100 (it covers C++)?

Ahhh nevermind, I should search forums more often.

Undergrad/CE Re-tool for MFE at Baruch/Columbia? - Forum | Quant Network

Baruch's post bacculearate (sp?) application says I can only take 1000,2000,3000 level courses...I need MTH 4100 which is linear algebra...what to do?
you sure ? call the admin office or the math department.It doesnt make sense.
plus, you don't have to take your math courses at Baruch only. You can take them at any CUNY schools or even outside CUNY.

Yeah, I know I can take the classes outside of Baruch, but I find it easier for me to commute between work and Baruch (walking length) so I'd rather go there if I can. Do you happen to know what are the exact course codes for the classes I'd need?

I'm thinking:
MTH 3010 (calculus II)
MTH 3020 (intermediate calculus)
MTH 4100 (linear algebra)

and CIS 3100 (object oriented programing) to learn C++ or would it be better to ditch this one and self study?

Yeah, I know I can take the classes outside of Baruch, but I find it easier for me to commute between work and Baruch (walking length) so I'd rather go there if I can. Do you happen to know what are the exact course codes for the classes I'd need?

I'm thinking:
MTH 3010 (calculus II)
MTH 3020 (intermediate calculus)
MTH 4100 (linear algebra)

and CIS 3100 (object oriented programing) to learn C++ or would it be better to ditch this one and self study?
I think the codes change every semester, go to http://www.cuny.edu, you should be able to find the info there.
But these are the courses that you want to take
3010 is calc II
3020 is intermediate calc
and 4100 is linear algebra.
Don't want to discourage you but, as far as I know, the majority if not all of the MFE students have many more math courses than just these 3 courses. Take into consideration that the majority of the students have an engineering/math/cs, etc. degrees (<=>lots of math and programming).

In my opinion CIS 3100 is not something at all(perhaps that's because of my professor), I thought I'd learn something new , but I haven't learned anything that I didn't know. I know professor Ma tries to cover a lot more than other professors.
having said that, from what people told me, you should have at least1 or 2 programming courses on your transcript (the only reason I didn't drop 3100). But don't think that after you take these one/two courses you are done with programming until the program. You should be programming on your own. Look for the "Master Reading List" thread, there are some good programing books you should read before entering the program.
Just to let you know, I'm not in the program but have been doing a lot of research before deciding to go for MFE, I'm telling you what people have told me.
I think you should speak with prof. Stefanica since he's going to give you the best advice.

Also, take a look at the class profile Baruch publishes:
Masters in Financial Engineering (MFE) - Baruch College

Back