• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Possibilities of RA-ship in quantitative finance

Hi all

Are there any RA-ship opportunities at universities in quantitative finance as is the case with other engineering streams... If there are, how much good do they do in terms of providing you an industry standard exposure?

Not that I know of anything, but you might look for research assistantships in Economics, Finance, Math, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Operations Research, etc. and target a particular Professor whose work you know and who is currently working on mathematical finance / financial engineering research.

However, it might be that this is just too specialized to be able to be a research assistant who only does quantitative finance stuff.

For experience, academic experience probably won't provide you with exposure to industry standards; but the right type of research (if you can get an idea of what is hot in quantitative finance) would probably be considered good experience because a lot of the 'math' type jobs in finance seem to like academic people.

Georgia Tech offers Graduate Assitantships. That can be either working for a prof doing research or grading papers. Additionally a few schools offer fellowships where you get money but you don't even have to work! Check out post number 7 here: https://www.quantnet.com/threads/scholarship-options-for-international-students.9257/#post-87467

That sums up what schools offer with admission. Once you get to campus you can email and talk to profs about being an RA or TA. I ended up with a fellowship at CGU then after being on campus for a semester started to help an econ professor out as an RA. The next year I worked as a TA for a financial derivatives course.

Back