• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Pre-program/Refresher courses

Hi,

I was looking for some information on what universities offer pre-program/refresher courses and how many of them are online.

I am located in the bay area, CA but am open to any online courses that are offered.
If there is a thread that's already out in this forum, appreciate if you could post the link.

Thank you!

hey namitha, baruch offers a c++ for financial engineering certification. although i haven't taken it, it looks very good just from reading the topics.
if you are willing to travel, i would recommend taking all the three pre-mfe courses offered at baruuch, that would be advanced calculus, probability and finally numerical linear algebra. It gets filled up rather quickly.

I don't know the rigor of other online Universities online program, but none that actually offer a pre-program refresher courses to my knowledge. Actually, let me correct myself, I know Berkley, CMU, NYU and columbia offer certification courses, but one class is for roughly 4000 dollars. At baruch, you can take all three for less than 4000. so thats another benefit

rajan

Thanks for your reply Rajan! I am currently working in the bay area so it will be tough to travel. I was looking into the Berkeley pre-program courses but also wanted to see if any of the other schools offer online courses or courses through extensions in California.

Found this free Stanford course while researching - http://see.stanford.edu/see/courses.aspx

This is not for credit and doesn't include software for labs. Seem more like a refresher if you've been out of touch with programming. They have a couple of courses in Math too.

Chicago MSFM offers an online math prep course. Caveat is that it costs $7,500 and lasts 9 months. :confused:

You can also look into a second degree scenario, where you carry over most of your credits from your last degree and just cherry pick what you need for a year before masters applications. It's generally cheaper than the courses offered under 'professional learning' or continuing studies.

Thanks jackcoke and joel. I am planning on enrolling for the pre-program courses at Berkeley. Compared to the course at Chicago, this one is less than $1500.
I might do some work myself on the math since it is more of a refresher than anything else.

In an effort to build my knowledge in finance, would preparing and taking the CFA help?

Thanks jackcoke and joel. I am planning on enrolling for the pre-program courses at Berkeley. Compared to the course at Chicago, this one is less than $1500.
I might do some work myself on the math since it is more of a refresher than anything else.

In an effort to build my knowledge in finance, would preparing and taking the CFA help?
yes...but the CFA exam you have to read about 4 books and many of the material is not relevant for mfe. you should take an intro to financial mathematics class which would be really helpful...or otherwise take a options class in college. I have a undergrad in finance and economics and it hasn't helped me much for mfe.

Hi Rajan,

I was planning on the taking the math class at Berkeley: http://mfe.berkeley.edu/academics/preprogram.html; I think that's similar to what you are referring to? I might work on some texts in the master reading list to brush up calculus since it's been a couple of years since I did that.

Thanks for the feedback on having a finance background. That is probably the one thing that makes me apprehensive about applying for an MFE. It's good to know that you don't necessarily have to have one.

-Namitha

hi namita,
i also planning to take pre-program at ucb, did u applied any college for mfe

Hey Amane! No I haven't applied to any yet and don't plan on applying until next year. I think enrollment starts pretty soon for UCB.

The UCB courses are open for registration. Anyone taking the Statistics course?

Back