• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Pricing of a forward start swap

Hi,

Most respected quant community of the universe.

I'm a 15 year old beginner and I was hoping to receive one simple doubt clarification. This is regarding pricing of derivatives using forward equations. I do have a question in hand to which I have been trying to find the answer of for over two weeks now and still cant reach the correct answer. I was hoping if I could receive some concept clarity.

Here is the question:

Compute the initial value of a forward-starting swap that begins at t=1, with maturity t=10 and a fixed rate of 4.5%. (The first payment then takes place at t=2 and the final payment takes place at t=11 as we are assuming, as usual, that payments take place in arrears.) You should assume a swap notional of 1 million and assume that you receive floating and pay fixed.)

I have herewith attached my excel worksheet.
forward swap
Cannot identify where im going wrong. i have my short rate, elementary pricing lattices all set up and verified. then i computed a forward price lattice with the {(rij-4.5%)/(1+rij)*(corresponding elemnetary price)} and then summed all values from 1 to 10, and multiplied by 1000000. The answer I get is wrong. It's been so discouraging as a beginner with no finance or computer science backgroudnd being hung up on this question for 2 weeks now. :(

Thanks a lot!

Ps: In my part of the world, I cannot really find a teacher to physically approach.

Its just a regular swap that starts in the future. Vswap= Vfix - Vfloat

Value of float = N at t=2. Find the value of fixed at t=1 discounting all the cash flows from t=2:11 using forward rate

Back