• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

COMPARE Princeton or MIT for Master in Finance?

Definitely Princeton. (but it's hard to compare the two, since they are very distinct in terms of the curriculum..) You got into Princeton? do you mind sharing your background?

How do you know?
Well I guess choosing between schools/programs really depends on personal preferences. I said so mostly because I personally like the Princeton program more. Plus it has a better reputation and placement record.

Well I guess choosing between schools/programs really depends on personal preferences. I said so mostly because I personally like the Princeton program more. Plus it has a better reputation and placement record.
so, that's your answer. Don't get caught up in silly comparisons.

They are both excellent programs. Princeton is more selective and has a more established reputation; MIT has Robert Merton and enough electricity running through the faculties' brains to power the state of Massachusetts. But you're not shooting yourself in the foot by choosing one program over the other. (OK, maybe the toe.)

Three big factors here that many people don't pay enough attention to are cost, length of study, and culture.

That said, I think that while the rest of the industry overrates selectivity and brand names, quantnet underrates them a little. We are all smart money here- and we know you can find brilliant people just about everywhere. That said, I'm not sure all bank recruiters and all investors have the same ability to pick out intellect and wisdom.

Accepted students can see the directory. It's not exactly 146 though, because not all of the entries are real. Close enough.

One upside I see with the MIT program is that its a 1 year program (compared to Princeton's 2 year), so when considering cost you should also weigh in the loss of salary you would have if going to Princeton.

It would be a nightmare if it's 146 accepted (which means they admitted lot more). Their goal for 2012 class size is 120.
ok..yes... They will have to offer money to withdraw admission this year as well in that case .

Which program do you think is better?
Princeton is the stronger program, but if you are admitted to both meet with some faculty, visit the campus and try and figure out which program, faculty, city, campus is a better fit for you.

Why is Princeton the stronger program? Why not MIT?

It's hard for me to rationalize how you guys come up with those answers.
They're both good programs and comparing MIT and Princeton is a bit like comparing Mustangs and Camaros. The Mustang was designed by Lee Iacocca, it was first to market, and for some reason, it has always had a little more appeal. A Camaro and a Mustang will run the 1/4 mile neck-and-neck, but when it comes time to actually decide which car they want to drive, people tend to choose the Mustang- and are even willing to pay a premium for it.

MIT's MFin is not incredibly quant-heavy. A lot of the graduates are going to go into client-facing roles. If it were just horsepower and torque, and every employer was an expert drag racer, the distinction would not be as important. But if you're in a client facing role, brand matters more. The distinction isn't very big between MIT and Princeton, but if you want to put your name out there to clients, Princeton has a small advantage over MIT.

Still, I stand by my view that cost, culture, and chronometry are important enough factors to outweigh brand. Especially when the difference between MIT and Princeton isn't that big.

Princeton.. hands down.. it is the most selective and reputable program.. Very good chances of getting picked up for jobs...

Princeton.. hands down.. it is the most selective and reputable program.. Very good chances of getting picked up for jobs...
You could argue the same thing about MIT.

Princeton has the edge based on the selectivity, brand, placement rate, and stated tuition, but that's not enough to make the decision an obvious one. Again, we're comparing a Camaro and a Mustang here- they both have the same horsepower, torque, and 1/4 mile speeds. Most people will choose the Mustang if they're offered the same price- it's fun to drive and makes it a little easier to pick up significant others in, but some will enjoy driving the Camaro more. Some will get offered the Camaro at below dealer invoice. Some will like the racing stripes and some will find that the Mustang is 9" longer and they can't quite comfortably fit it in their garage. Some people just come from a family that buys GM cars. All are perfectly good reasons to choose the Camaro. But *most* consumers wind up picking the Mustang.

Visit both campuses, negotiate financial aid at both schools, figure out what your education will look like, talk with your parents, pray about it, and if you still don't have an obvious decision after ignoring selectivity and brand, that's when you start leaning towards Princeton.

You could argue the same thing about MIT.

Alain I empathize with your frustration with younger posters' obsession with brand and selectivity, but it's also an overreaction to say there's no distinction or that it's not worth considering. It's one of several important factors. And it becomes more important when it's tough for a 22-year-old to evaluate the other factors (like culture and what kind of career they want to have for the next 20, 30, or 40 years).

Back