• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Profile Evaluation

Work Ex. : 3 + years (4 by the time I apply for MFE) as a Senior Analyst in Equity Derivatives Structured Deal Review @ Nomura Services India, 6 Months Internship as a Derivatives Analyst at Aviva Investors, Des Moines USA
GMAT: 590 (Q44, V 27) AWA 5.0 IR: 5.0
Academics: Masters in Accounting (Emphasis: Finance) Iowa State University USA (GPA 3.5 on 4.0), CFA Level 3 Candidate, FRM Level 2 Candidate, Bachelors in Commerce from University of Mumbai.
Programming Skills: VBA, will be enrolling for C++ programming for MFE and Math for MFE from one of the top universities in the US before I apply for Fall 2015.
Recommendation Letters: 2 from department heads of Iowa State University (Derivatives and Finance), 2 from ED at Nomura and 1 from immediate manager.

What are my chances of getting into one of the top universities for MFE ? I do realize that the average GMAT score is 690+ which will be my weak point. Keeping that in mind do I stand a chance?

improve your GMAT to 700 and you have good chances at tier 1 programs as well!

Do I stand a chance at Nanyang Business School Singapore ?
Hi, Sharma.

Although I am just an UG in NTU, I do believe you stand a great chance. Based on information from the program director, working experience would be a great advantage. But of course, higher GMAT would lower the risk.

Yeah, the 590 GMAT is an ugly mark on an otherwise strong application.

Take the GREs, and get separate quant and verbal scores. Somehow the verbal scores on the GRE tend to get overlooked without a composite score and people just zoom in on the quant (or the verbal and AWA if you are applying for an English PhD.) Incidentally, the GRE is cheaper to retake.

If you can pull off a 165 Q and you have the math classes from Iowa, I think NYU, Cornell, and Columbia are within reach. I have not heard of Nanyang, but I think most Asian and European programs would be within reach, too.

I don't know enough to comment on your odds at an IIM, but if you are looking for an MFE from Asia, you may want to consider them. I was a white guy born in the US, but I looked long and hard at IIM as an option for MFE programs. At the very least, IIM has an excellent reputation in the US, it may be cheaper for an Indian national, and a good GRE could give you a shot.

Last edited:
I don't know enough to comment on your odds at an IIM, but if you are looking for an MFE from Asia, you may want to consider them. I was a white guy born in the US, but I looked long and hard at IIM as an option for MFE programs. At the very least, IIM has an excellent reputation in the US, it may be cheaper for an Indian national, and a good GRE could give you a shot.

Gollini, just a small correction on your reply. IIMs offer PGDM (post graduate degree in management). They do not offer MBAs or MFEs. It's good to know they're reputed in the US too though. Maybe, it's all about the selection process :D :p

Well, the IIMs now offer a PGP diploma instead of the PGDM. I don't think the IIM solely has a great reputation in the US. I believe the IIT + IIM combo has a great reputation pretty much in the entire world including the US not because of the quality of education but because it is insanely hard to get into both and if a student completed both, he/she must be really gifted intellectually.

Most of the Indians working in the US with an IIM degree have an IIT degree as well. Either ways, approximately 25% of the students who make it to the IIM in the non-reserved quota have an IIT degree and invariably snap up most of the positions offered outside India.

Before you start dreaming about going to IIM, I should inform you that IIM-A,B,C will only select about 1 in 800 people who apply for admission in the General category. So stop dreaming about something which is not going to happen and plan for something which is more realistic.

Thanks TraderJoe, appreciate your response. I am looking at schools specifically in the US or outside India. Not looking at IIM's at all as Azamat mentioned IIM's do not offer MFE.

Back