• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Programming Experience for Admission

Hey Everyone!
I will be beginning my undergraduate studies in the fall of 2021 and am keen on a career in quantitative finance. I will be majoring in financial mathematics and economics; however, my university does not offer me the choice to take a semester worth of programming classes. But during my undergrad, I will be working on side projects in quant finance to develop my programming skills. Will not having formal programming education at university hinder my chances of admission to MFE programs (especially those that require a semester worth of C++ coding)?

Hey Everyone!
I will be beginning my undergraduate studies in the fall of 2021 and am keen on a career in quantitative finance. I will be majoring in financial mathematics and economics; however, my university does not offer me the choice to take a semester worth of programming classes. But during my undergrad, I will be working on side projects in quant finance to develop my programming skills. Will not having formal programming education at university hinder my chances of admission to MFE programs (especially those that require a semester worth of C++ coding)?
Typically MFE programs will want to see experience with math, finance, computer science. Luckily, you can take the C++ or Python courses on QuantNet and that should satisfy most MFE requirements. And, I highly recommend these courses. You will learn a years worth of programming concepts in a few months time.

Typically MFE programs will want to see experience with math, finance, computer science. Luckily, you can take the C++ or Python courses on QuantNet and that should satisfy most MFE requirements. And, I highly recommend these courses. You will learn a years worth of programming concepts in a few months time.
I see... So you mean that programming experience outside the traditional classroom is sufficient to fulfill computer science requirements?

I see... So you mean that programming experience outside the traditional classroom is sufficient to fulfill computer science requirements?
It depends where that experience is. Context matters here. The projects you do throughout undergrad will be good, but only as supplementary material. If you do not have a university course, the programs will have no grade to go off when assessing your ability. You will close a lot of doors. The exception is the course here, where it has been recognized by many of the top programs. Strategically the best thing you can do is take atleast one university course and the course here as well. Either way, I would recommend taking the course here as it is truly great. But the worst thing you can do is just rely on your projects. That will most likely eliminate programs right from the start.

Back