• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Programming experience for MFE

Hey everyone,
I am currently an undergraduate student and I want to fulfill the programming requirement for the MFE either through online courses. I plan on taking the Baruch's C++ for financial engineering course soon and I also want to take courses in python and machine learning. Specifically for the latter, are there any well-reputed online courses that are viewed highly by universities? If not, should I just take courses offered by my university in data structures and algorithms and machine learning?

Don't know of any online courses for those that stand up to Baruch's course.

datasim.nl (same creator of Baruch's course) has an applied numerical methods course which I plan to take soon.
There is one in python, though I plan to do the C++ one, but it isn't strictly machine learning so this doesn't really answer your question. It will end at a place where you start to get into Machine learning type things and can actually understand what is going on.

In short, no. In slightly more words: there are things you should do before you really start worrying about machine learning concepts if you want a thorough understanding.

Yea, my intentions with taking machine learning courses offered by my university/online is to simply understand the very basics of it. But there is a tradeoff to taking computer science courses and that would be missing out on taking stat courses involving time series analysis and regression. I am just wondering what your thoughts are on how I should proceed. I am definitely fine with doing either option since they both involve roughly the same amount of workload.

Back