• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Purdue - Computational Finance

Hello everybody,

Can somebody comment on Computational Finance program offered at Purdue University? I am more interested to know how strong its course curriculum and faculty is as compared to top 6-7 colleges.

I have done some research on it using other sources too but would definitely like to hear you opinion.

Priyanka A

I don't think you would find much about it here as we are more NYC centric. You probably know more about it than most of us.
Purdue is in Indiana (middle of no where as far as finance is concerned), close to Chicago. It's housed in a big Stat dept so its students has to fight much harder to get jobs in NYC or Chicago.
Is there any banks, hedge funds hiring in IN ? How is the placement stat there currently?

Hello everybody,

Can somebody comment on Computational Finance program offered at Purdue University? I am more interested to know how strong its course curriculum and faculty is as compared to top 6-7 colleges.

The courses are standard. I presume the "CS" courses teach some C++ (but haven't bothered to check). One big plus for the program (at least for foreign students who may lack the wherewithal) is this:

Like most graduate students at Purdue, CF students typically get full financial support, generally in the form of teaching or research assistantship. Please visit the individual graduate programs' pages for specific information.

One general comment I want to make is that the U is in the Midwest, which is truly in the middle of nowhere, hundreds of miles away from any point of civilisation. Something to bear in mind.

I agree, "hundreds of miles away from any point of civilisation" might be crucial when deciding where to go. So unless you are from that area, it is better for you to visit the campus and see for yourself.

I asked this question as I have been offered admission and financial assistance at Purdue and admission without financial assistance at Rutgers. I am still awaiting results of other colleges - Baruch, UChicago, CMU, Cornell, GaTech, UMichigan, IIT-Stuart.

I would prefer a course curriculum that puts emphasis on computational techniques along with mathematical theories, and so I am really looking forward to hear something positive from Baruch and CMU.

I applied to Purdue and Rutgers as safety points. Rutgers being close to NY city and Purdue close to Chicago. But as you pointed out Purdue is far from any civilisation, can anybody point out more about its placement scenario?

I still have sometime to wait for other results to be out before I make a final decision.

Hi priyanka

This is Aditya. I am also going to apply to Purdue university for the fall 2011. I was just interested in knowing about your profile so that I may be able to assess my chances there.

Thanks
Aditya

I agree, "hundreds of miles away from any point of civilisation" might be crucial when deciding where to go. So unless you are from that area, it is better for you to visit the campus and see for yourself.
Purdue is just two hours drive from Chicago.

I was recently admitted to Purdue's computational finance program, fully funded. (Well, technically I'm admitted to the Mathematics doctoral program.) If anyone else has gotten in there, I'd love to talk to you about the program and see what you've heard from the faculty and students there.

Back