• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

QN C++ - Beginner or Advanced ?

Hi All,

I am confused between which of the two C++ course to register for. I want to begin the course from 6th Nov.
I have 4 years of Software Engineering experience. In my professional capacity, I have mainly worked with Java, kotlin and golang.
During my college days, I have used C++ for competitive programming. As a result of which, I am pretty familiar with STL and data structures in C++.

In the syllabus for C++ for financial engineering, except for part 5 and 6, I am comfortable with other parts. Though I have not done oop in C++, I have done it extensively in Java.

Another consideration in my mind while choosing the course - I am applying for fall'24 mfe programs. So I am thinking that maybe I register for the beginner C++ course and finish it in 2-2.5 months by the time of interviews for these programs. Hopefully this strengthen my chances.
The advanced course I won't be able to finish in 2-2.5 months.

Which of two should I go for ?
Thanks for any advice and suggestions.

Thanks for your suggestion.

About templates - In theory. I am out of practice in C++, I would have to revise. The closest approximation of C++'s template is generics in Java, but that is not as popular as templates in C++.

Last edited:
Thanks for your suggestion.

About templates - In theory. I am out of practice in C++, I would have to revise. The closest approximation of C++'s template is generics in Java, but that is not as popular as templates in C++.
And from a structural point of view, generics were added to Java very late in the game. And it's not to everyone's taste.

Back