• C++ Programming for Financial Engineering
    Highly recommended by thousands of MFE students. Covers essential C++ topics with applications to financial engineering. Learn more Join!
    Python for Finance with Intro to Data Science
    Gain practical understanding of Python to read, understand, and write professional Python code for your first day on the job. Learn more Join!
    An Intuition-Based Options Primer for FE
    Ideal for entry level positions interviews and graduate studies, specializing in options trading arbitrage and options valuation models. Learn more Join!

Quant Documentary

I'm sure many of you have seen this, but for those of you who haven't seen it, the documentary "Quants - The Alchemists of Wall Street" (© VPRO Backlight February 2010) is an excellent watch. It gives a glimpse of the emergence of "quants," how they found success, how they contributed to market collapse, and what their role is in the future of Wall Street. It focuses on Paul Wilmott, Emanuel Derman, and Michael Osinski. Highly recommend!

documentaries usually happen when there is event with negative impact. quant space has been quite vanilla since the great recession. so answer is no

Maybe Bitcoin by the brilliant Nando Ametrano (BTW co-founder of Quantlib).

too old. lost a lot of its relevance already
There is a formula on Paul's left side
Ft = |Fxx|
did this formula lose relevance? can someone explain how is it related to the Quant Finance World?
Why did Paul bring the attention to this formula in particular?
any one?¡

Last edited:
There is a formula on Paul's left side
Ft = |Fxx|
did this formula lose relevance? can someone explain how is it related to the Quant Finance World?
Why did Paul bring the attention to this formula in particular?
any one?¡
My guess only.
It's a nonlinear parabolic PDE (think of a kind of Black Scholes with r = 0)
It's say that convexity/gamma is made positive and "F" is increasing in time.
But it could mean other things. I suppose we could ask Paul?

Another uncertain vol PDE is discussed here

Last edited:
Back